Buenos Aires‘ cultural life is phenomenal, and its artists are a big reason why. The city draws them like a magnet. The amount of cultural activities going on at one time in the Argentine capital is impressive, be it dance, theater, workshops, free government-funded cultural enrichment programs, or exhibitions on at one of the city’s many art galleries. It’s worth familiarizing yourself with the following Argentine artists—they’re going places. Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Born in the city of La Plata, the hyperrealist painter Diego Gravinese is an extremely popular Argentine artist. Now based in Buenos Aires, you can follow him on Facebook here.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Kaleema is a young Argentine female composer and DJ who folds folklore and indigenous South American music into her work. Asked to describe her work to Culture Trip, Kaleema said (translated from Spanish):
“I believe it is a way to integrate the love I have for folklore music from all over the world with my own musical calling. What I really love is listening to music with roots, for example a choir of Bulgarian women that produces a sound so potent, with so much heart, you feel it in your core—it really touches my soul. Popular music and folklore tradition is part of daily life in communities, it grows out collective experience and isn’t intellectual—people are always coming together through music to share stories, celebrate, express their pain and sadness, loves and lost loves; this is my greatest inspiration.”
Currently producing her first solo album, you can listen to or watch this music video here.
Nicolas Romero Escalada
A street artist and painter, 31-year-old creative Nicolas Romero was born in Buenos Aires and now works both in Argentina and abroad. Keep tabs on him on Facebook here, or go see one this piece in Buenos Aires’ Villa Crespo neighborhood (Padilla 925):
Up-and-coming artist Andrés Aizicovich is hard to categorize. He paints. He works with furniture and objects. He creates spaces and feelings. His works have been exhibited by Buenos Aires’ influential Centro Cultural Recoleta. In a Spanish statement shared with Culture Trip, the 32-year-old artist explained:
“I’m interested in investigating the crosses and borders between cultural heritage, identity, the persistence of memory and the uses of the city as a sensitive container of the experiences of its inhabitants.”
Here’s his most recent work (that’s Aizicovich on the bike):
Young novelist, actor, and playwright Agustin Romero is currently at work on his second novel after writing and producing an experimental play that went on tour in the country’s south last year.
The 33-year-old artist from Chubut province had great success with his first book, El Paraíso de Los Solos (Paradise of Loners), which is available throughout Buenos Aires (the book is in Spanish only at the moment). Currently part of an alternative dance production called “The Manifesto” in Buenos Aires, keep an eye on Romero—his work has him at the heart of Argentina’s vibrant nexus of art, theater, and literature.
Alejandro Sordi is a 32-year-old artist from Buenos Aires who works in various mediums. He produces objects, paintings, digital art, and even street art. Ancient symbols and patterns from South American cultures feature strongly in his work, yet the delivery is distinctly modern. Follow him on Facebook here. One of his works:
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.