Bora Bora is a bucket list destination for many, with the tiny South Pacific island offering a true escape from everyday life. The outcrop, located northwest of Tahiti, features a lush volcanic interior and snow-white beaches surrounded by aquamarine waters – all best explored by boat. Admire the scenery by sailing ashore and dropping anchor beside these waterside bars, just in time for sunset cocktails.
Sail around the shores of Bora Bora by organising a trip with Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Swim up and grab a drink at this blissful bar at the upscale Le Bora Bora by Pearl Resorts. The Manuia Bar is located in the pool, with submerged stools so you can sit, soak and sip at the same time. Gaze out at the ocean and watch the sunset, with happy hour in full flow from 4-6pm.
Upa Upa Lounge Bar
Decked out with a combination of contemporary and traditional interiors, the Upa Upa Lounge Bar at the Conrad hotel makes for a plush spot to sit back and admire lagoon views with a refreshing drink. One of the bar’s unique features is a glass floor, so you can watch fish swim in the water below. The bar serves cocktails and fine wines that have been curated to complement a light menu of sushi and rolls.
Slap bang on the white sand beach of the five-star InterContinental Bora Bora Resort & Thalasso Spa, this restaurant and bar looks out over the aquamarine lagoon and towards Mount Otemanu. Pop by for a pre-dinner tequila or rum-based cocktail while watching the sun melt on the horizon as flickering torches come to life.
Have the ultimate sunset drink after mooring at the ultra-luxe St Regis resort. The hotel’s Aparima Bar, located between the main beach and pool, serves a must-try cocktail called the Hina, which consists of a moreish blend of fresh coconut water, coconut purée and vanilla-infused rum, with the finished product served in a coconut shell. Alternatively, the bar’s other hit is the Bora Mary – a twist on the traditional bloody mary with watermelon juice used instead of tomato for a more refreshing finish.
Pull up a pew and see out the end of another heavenly day at this Asian-inspired waterside spot at the Four Seasons. The smart overwater restaurant runs a happy hour every day from 5-6pm with an array of artful cocktails on offer. A must-try is the signature mahana, made with Taha’a vanilla-infused vodka, Cointreau and pineapple juice, fresh from the island of Moorea.
What do the actor Pierce Brosnan and astronaut Buzz Aldrin have in common? They’ve both been to one of Bora Bora’s most popular watering holes, Bloody Mary’s. The beachside restaurant and bar has entertained high-flying guests since 1979. Happily for sailors, it’s part of the neighbouring yacht club, so you can roll out of your boat straight to drinks and dinner. Bag a table for sunset with a drink to hand – a bloody mary being an obvious choice.
Bora Bora Yacht Club
Clink glasses with other sailors at this popular bar and restaurant, which sits on the waterfront as part of the island’s yacht club. Sunset is one of its peak times, so get there early for a good seat. Some of the most popular drinks include mai tais, piña coladas and ice-cold beers.
Restaurant St James
Soak up prime views of the sun setting over the lagoon at this polished open-air restaurant. The venue serves a great selection of champagnes and wines alongside masterstroke cocktails. Some of the best-selling drinks include the St James Special (a mix of white and dark rum, lime, vanilla, pineapple and mango juice) and the Mushy (a sweet blend of vodka, amaretto, Baileys, vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce). Stay on for a dinner of French and Polynesian flavours that makes good use of local ingredients.
Discover Bora Bora from the water by booking a sailing vacation with Culture trip
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.