It might be small, but the appeal of Bora Bora is mighty. This tiny island in the South Pacific boasts lush jungle, peaceful lagoons, healthy coral reefs and a rich culture. The cherry on top is its fine selection of luxury hotel offerings, accompanied by a list of noteworthy restaurants overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Here’s our pick of the best.
Enjoy your oceanside meal in Bora Bora after hiring a boat.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Otemanu Restaurant at Le Bora Bora by Pearl Resorts
Named after the highest point in Bora Bora, this restaurant is perched up high at Le Bora Bora by Pearl Resorts and provides peaceful views of the shimmering lagoon below. It offers breakfast and dinner options; the morning meal is served buffet-style, and come evening there’s the opportunity to dine under the stars. Dip into the restaurant on a Monday evening and you’ll be treated to a Polynesian show. On the food front, the menu features international cuisine with a Tahitian twist.
Iriatai French Restaurant at the Conrad Bora Bora Nui
Sit back and soak up the refined setting of this open-air restaurant which affords fine views of the lagoon and the hotel’s dreamy overwater bungalows. The restaurant serves a well-curated menu of French-inspired dishes, with herbs from the on-site garden and fish from the lagoon. On the dessert front, the French toast brioche with caramelised pecan nuts and salted butter caramel breadfruit ice cream is not to be missed. Wash it all down with a tipple from the extensive wine list.
Sands Restaurant at the InterContinental Bora Bora Resort & Thalasso Spa
As the name of this restaurant suggests, it sits on the white sand beach of the five-star InterContinental overlooking the bobbing blue and the summit of Mount Otemanu beyond. Pop in for lunch or an evening meal, when flickering torchlight adds to the romance. The traditional poisson cru, a Polynesian dish of raw fish marinated in citrus juice and coconut milk, gets top marks.
Lagoon Restaurant by Jean-Georges at The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort
Elevate your Bora Bora dining game with a trip to the Lagoon Restaurant by Jean-Georges at the ultra-luxe St. Regis resort. The fine-dining spot features a menu masterminded by the world-famous French chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten. Try the uravena, a fish that is very difficult to catch, as it’s found between 200-400m (650-1,300ft) deep. The restaurant prides itself on being the only restaurant in Polynesia to offer it. The views here are as appetising as the artfully presented dishes – the main dining room looks over the aquamarine waters and has glass panels in the floor, so you can watch what’s happening below.
Vaimiti at the Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora
If you’re a fan of Asian food then you can get your fix at Vaimiti. This photogenic overwater dining venue at the island’s Four Seasons property offers a mouthwatering meze inspired by the East, with everything from pork belly spring rolls to kung pao chicken. Kick the evening off with a couple of quaffable cocktails or a slug of sake before digging into your feast.
Follow in the footsteps of Pierce Brosnan, Buzz Aldrin and a string of other famous faces with a trip to this old island favourite. Keeping guests happy since 1979, the beach bar and restaurant is part of the neighbouring yacht club, so you can roll out of your boat straight to your dining table. There’s a lunch and dinner menu, with house specials including the mahi-mahi reuben sandwich. And, of course, you can’t leave without trying a bloody mary.
Bora Bora Yacht Club
Mingle with other sailors at this popular restaurant that sits on the waterfront as part of the island’s yacht club. The mahi-mahi, succulent steak and carpaccio are some of the top-rated dishes, while the chocolate lava cake is a great way to round things off. The kitchen is open for lunch and dinner, with sunset one of the popular times to visit. Be sure to arrive early to get a good seat and settle in with a well-made piña colada.
Restaurant St James
Lap up prime views of the lagoon at this characterful open-air restaurant, which serves an all-day dining menu combining French and Polynesian flavours. The home-made fish stew makes use of local ingredients including mahi-mahi and shrimps, while the lagoon fish baked in salt crust is another winning dish. If you’re looking for something lighter, a tantalising tapas menu can be enjoyed at the bar, with salmon and snails among the pickings. Fancy pairing it with some bubbles? There’s a great selection of champagne to sample.
Island-hop around Bora Bora by booking a sailing vacation with Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.