French Polynesia comprises over 100 islands scattered across five archipelagos in the South Pacific Ocean: the Tuamotu, Marquesas, Gambier, Austral and Society Islands. It’s a sailing paradise, where warm trade winds blow across tropical atolls creating the ultimate island-hopping experience. From Raiatea and Bora Bora, to Moorea and Tahiti, here’s our suggested itinerary for exploring by boat.
Cruise around French Polynesia in style by booking a sailing vacation.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Day 1 – Raiatea to Motu Taoru
Meet the boat on Raiatea island at Marina Uturoa. Once the religious centre of Polynesia, Raiatea earned the nickname “Sacred Isle”. It’s a moniker reaffirmed by numerous ancient temples that pepper its lush, mountainous terrain. Start your itinerary with an energetic hike up Mount Temehani to spot a tiare apetahi, Polynesia’s rare, endemic five-petalled white flower. From the marina, cruise the short distance to Motu Taoru lagoon and drop anchor for the night. The shallow anchorage provides protection from easterly winds. Enjoy dinner on board with views across the enclosed barrier reef, alive with shimmering reef fish.
Day 2 – Motu Taoru to Bora Bora
Enjoy a morning of blue water sailing as you make your way to Bora Bora. Divert your course northwest to stop off at Motu To’opua, a tiny islet that lies between Bora Bora and a dramatic coral reef. These waters are nicknamed the “valley of eagle rays”, where these flat, disk-shaped fish are often spotted in large groups. Bora Bora is a collection of islands, defined by the soaring peaks of Mount Pahia and Mount Otemanu at the centre. Moor the boat at Faanui anchorage, then head for Tā’ihi Point for incredible views. The more adventurous can arrange a dive to see lemon, reef or hammerhead sharks in action. Alternatively, ease into dinner plans at one of the many luxury waterfront hotels with the help of a rum punch.
Day 3 – Bora Bora to Huahine
Today, set sail for Huahine, renowned for its verdant foliage and bright flowers. It holds archaeological significance in Polynesian culture, made evident by its 280 Polynesian settlements and structures dating back to 700CE. Drop anchor in the Bay of Maroe, then take the tender along the coast to Lake Fauna Nui. Dozens of ancient temples and structures can be found here, including a sacred Polynesian fish trap made with stones in the channel between the lake and the ocean. Locals from Faie Village regularly feed the hallowed blue-eyed eels in the lake. Works by local artists at Galerie Umatatea in Maeva are worth seeing, or saddle up and head to Fare town for shops and bars – horseback is the preferred way of getting around here.
Day 4 – Huahine to Tetiaroa
Cast off for Tetiaroa today, a necklace of islets circling a turquoise lagoon located 30 miles north of Tahiti. Once the holiday favourite of Tahitian royalty, it was later bought by Marlon Brando while filming Mutiny on the Bounty. After the actor’s death, the eco-centred Brando Resort opened in 2014. Drop anchor off of the island and take a tender to explore the lagoon, or head to shore to indulge in a traditional Polynesian massage at the resort’s Varua Te Ora spa. Come nightfall, drink in the sunset view at open-air Te Manu bar, before dining at the resort’s restaurant, Nami. Its Japanese dishes are cooked in front of guests on a teppan-yaki iron griddle.
Day 5 – Tetiaroa to Moorea
Enjoy a leisurely breakfast on board the boat this morning, while cruising the four-hour hop to the island of Moorea. Anchor in Cook’s Bay or Opunohu Bay on the north of the island; you’ll find great reef breaks for surfers here. It’s best to explore the island by jeep, though an ATV or scooter tour can be more fun. For something more active, the island’s volcanic centre has hiking trails, while Tiki Parc offers five treetop assault courses with high-line zip wires through the rainforest canopy. After lunch, take a tender to the Tiki Village Theatre, which sits on the western shore, to enjoy a traditional Polynesian beach welcome with dancers and festivities.
Day 6 – Moorea to Tahiti
Spend time in nearby Papeete, the capital city of French Polynesia, located on the island of Tahiti. Berth the yacht at Marina Taina before exploring the city’s palm-lined streets on the northwest coast. Once a favourite port of call for whalers, today it’s a hub of culture and commerce. Golfers will enjoy teeing off on the Olivier Breaud Golf Course, while shoppers should head for Le Marche, which is packed to the rafters with local delicacies, including quintessential Tahitian woven bags. No visit is complete without a dive at the famed Aquarium, a large sandy basin on the west coast where you can swim with lionfish and angelfish, as well as explore two sunken schooners and a Cessna plane wreck.
Day 7 – Tahiti to Raiatea
Before returning to Marina Uturoa today, hop across to the scented shores of its sister island Taha’a, which shares the same coral reef as Raiatea. Tahitian vanilla orchids grow in abundance here – the scent on the breeze is intoxicating. Enjoy a last snorkel in the shallow coral garden of Ha’amene Bay or go ashore to visit a black-pearl farm. The valuable Tahitian black pearl comes from the black-lipped oyster and carries a much higher price than its paler cousin. Before heading back to the boat, stop off at Mana’o Rum Distillery, listed among the top 50 in the world, for a tasty keepsake from exotic French Polynesia.
Discover the most secluded islands in French Polynesia by hiring a boat – no experience necessary.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.