The islands of Tahiti boast some of the world’s most breathtaking scenery, with lush foliage carpeting volcanic landscapes and the bluest waters imaginable. The views become even more magical at sunset. What better way to enjoy them than with a refreshing beverage? Here we reveal the best bars on the main island of Tahiti Nui and neighbouring Moorea for relaxing at the end of an adventure-packed day.
Sit back with a drink by the Tahitian sunset after chartering a boat.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Taapuna Bar at the Manava Suite Resort Tahiti
Be sure to stake out a good seat early here, as it soon packs out in good weather. The bar – part of the contemporary Manava Suite Resort, just a ten-minute drive from the airport – features a sandy peninsula accessed via a bridge. The main area is housed in an open-air hut, where you can take your pick from the daily happy hour menu. Popular choices include classic mojitos, Polynesian mai tais and virgin coladas. Settle in for a drink while watching the sunset over Moorea across the way.
Bay Bar at Le Tahiti by Pearl Resorts
Nestled in Matavai Bay overlooking a black sand beach, the Bay Bar at Le Tahiti by Pearl Resort makes for a serene location to watch the sun go down. Happy hours run daily, with a range of Instagrammable, sunset-hued cocktails on offer. Grab a seat on the terrace overlooking the volcanic sands or opt for one at the bar by the pool. The staff here get top marks for friendliness.
Moor and jump ashore at Marina Taina in Punaauia, close to the Tahitian capital, and watch the sun go down over your mast from the comfortable surrounds of Casa Bianca. This European-style bar and restaurant is a great place to unwind, and the home-made pizzas get rave reviews. Wash one down with a cocktail or choose from a good selection of ales, courtesy of local Les 3 Brasseurs microbrewery.
Vue Bar at the Sofitel Kia Ora Moorea Beach Resort
For a sophisticated tipple, head to the Vue bar at upscale Sofitel Kia Ora resort on Moorea. This bar, which prides itself on having one of the best liquor selections in French Polynesia, features a smart, circular bar and a dark wood terrace over the water. You’ll find everything from classic manhattans to inventive cocktails such as the Black Pearl – a heady blend of tequila, Malibu, pineapple juice, red berries and vanilla syrup. If you’re feeling peckish, tapas is also on offer.
Lotus Swim-Up Bar at the InterContinental Resort Tahiti
Elevate your sunset drink by popping into the InterContinental, which is located on the coast, just a short drive from Papeete. This resort is home to a dreamy swim-up bar where you’ll certainly want to take a picture or two. Don your swim gear and slip into the balmy waters for a refreshing drink as the sun goes down. There’s everything from fruit smoothies to champagne.
Moorea Beach Café
Beloved by yachties, the Moorea Beach Café is a top place to watch the sunset, with a prime location next to the golden sands and a relaxed atmosphere throughout. The restaurant and bar, in the north of the heart-shaped island, offers a mix of classic cocktails. Alternatively, push the boat out with a chilled bottle of Veuve Clicquot served in a yolk-coloured cooler.
Bag yourself your own floating bar by booking an excursion with Akivai. This company specialises in sunset cruises around the Moorea lagoon onboard luxury vessels, with slides, plush leather lounge chairs and bartenders who keep the drinks and nibbles rolling. Savour a magical sunset amid stingrays and sharks while enjoying a glass of cooling Tahitian Hinano beer or a moreish rum punch.
Sunset Snack Restaurant Bar
The clue is in the name of this low-key bar and restaurant. The rustic establishment boasts a top setting on the golden sands of Punaauia Beach, with large windows affording great views of the setting sun. On the drinks front, specialities include frozen margaritas, punchy mai tais and creamy piña coladas topped with pineapple wedges and cocktail umbrellas. There’s also a stash of Moët for those who enjoy bubbles, and a sumptuous selection of seafood.
Hop between the finest Tahitian bars by renting a boat.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.