The largest island in French Polynesia, Tahiti has a well-deserved reputation for exclusivity. This tropical destination in the South Pacific is ideal for a romantic getaway or luxury family holiday. You can relax on the beach, or go island-hopping to explore the lush landscape around you. And we’ve rounded up the best places for you to stay.
Most people who come to Tahiti, which sits in the middle of the South Pacific midway between Fiji and Hawaii, land here after an eight-hour plane journey from Los Angeles. The remote location offers seclusion and escapism as a reward for the long journey. This once-in-a-lifetime holiday requires a fair amount of planning, so it’s worth exploring all the options when it comes to figuring out itineraries and picking places to stay.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
You’ll find French influences across the island: the Tahitians are French citizens, although both French and Tahitian dialects are spoken. The capital, Papeete, is a great place to start your trip, and not just because the international airport is close by. The marina is lively, blending modern and historic architecture to great effect. And to explore the surrounding areas, you will find Papeete a convenient base.
Ultimately, Tahiti is one of those dream honeymoon trips that will appeal to anyone who took a more achievable minimoon in 2020. With travel routes set to open up in the coming months, we think Tahiti could work well as an extravagant trip towards the latter half of 2021.
When you think about where you might stay, you’ll probably imagine thatched beach huts on white-sand beach crystal-clear blue waters. And there’s plenty of these idyllic dwellings to choose from – often with more mod cons than they might traditionally have done. But you might also want to think further afield.
Tahiti is part of the Society Islands, which includes other idyllic places such as Bora Bora and Moorea, so if you have time, take a trip to see them too. That’s not to say Tahiti itself is short of adventures, with three waterfalls in the rainforest particularly worth the hike.
Feel-good places to stay in Tahiti
As we’ve already mentioned, island-hopping around Tahiti is one of the best ways to appreciate the beauty of this remote destination. Here are four of the best properties to consider when looking for places to stay in French Polynesia.
The ultimate local experience is on offer at Green Lodge, an inviting property in a quiet corner on the east coast of Moorea with several small beachfront bungalows that make the most of the location. You can easily reach Tahiti’s main points of interest by ferry from here, but you can enjoy a complete break from it all, too.
Let’s venture a little further afield and take in the stunning beauty of Tikehau, an atoll that proved irresistible to French explorer and conservationist Jacques Cousteau. Ninamu Resort is aimed at travellers looking for luxury in the middle of nowhere. The exclusive bungalows are handcrafted from locally sourced materials and can accommodate everyone from solo holidaymakers to large family groups.
This collection of overwater bungalow suites is perfectly designed to make the most of the seafront location on Bora Bora. Rooms have plunge pools, glass windows built into the floors and wooden walkways over the sea. Private concierge services can help you make the most of your visit, and if you plan a trip here in July, you will also be able to take part in the annual Heiva festival.
Overwater bungalow luxury isn’t always break-the-bank expensive. Manava Beach Resort may not be as exclusive as some of our other choices, but it is an affordable option, especially if you’re also interested in getting out to explore Tahiti. The style of these thatched French Polynesian huts is a practical adaptation to their environment, but it just so happens they’re also fantastic for social media.
The Culture Trip list features places with a feel-good factor that we can’t wait to visit in 2021 and beyond (and once we can travel again). It celebrates travel that’s good and makes you feel good. The destinations are dedicated to sustainability; they offer something new and exciting, or an unforgettable moment that will make us fall in love all over again with the world we’ve missed in 2020.
Culture Trip compiled the list based on insights and recommendations from its global community of travel experts and local insiders, combined with search data from millions of users from around the world to understand interest in those destinations.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.