Whether your Australian vacation is going to be focused on sand and surf or sipping coffees in the city, we have your packing list covered.
Over nine million people visit Australia every year. Some stick only to the cities, while others head north to experience places like the world-famous Great Barrier Reef. Your suitcase contents will differ from one place to the next. But here’s a guide to what to pack if you want to fit in with the locals, no matter where you end up in Australia.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
What to wear in Northern Australia
North of the Tropic of Capricorn is defined as Northern Australia. Encompassing parts of Western Australia, the Northern Territory and Queensland, this is the part of Australia that experiences year-round warm tropical temperatures. It also has two distinct seasons: wet and dry. Wet season is summer, when humidity is high, rainfall is frequent and stingers swarm the seas. Dry season is the best time to visit Northern Australia, as it’s the exact opposite.
Northern Australia is a very casual place. From Broome to Airlie Beach, t-shirts and shorts are the daily uniform for everyone. Locals can also be seen wearing thongs (Aussie speak for flip-flops) everywhere: to the shops, the beach and even out to brunch. If you are travelling exclusively in this region to visit places like the Great Barrier Reef, the Wet Tropics Rainforest and Uluru, pack for summer year-round. This means shorts, singlets, sundresses, swimsuits and sandals.
For casual dinners, men can get away with wearing a button-up shirt with shorts, and ladies in a dress and sandals. No heels needed. In winter, temperatures can dip slightly at night on the coast, so pack one versatile jacket. If you head to central Australia, it can be even cooler, which means packing winter essentials like thermals and a thicker jacket.
What to wear in Australian cities
Packing lists for cities like Melbourne and Sydney will differ, depending on the season. Melbourne is one place in Australia that actually experiences winter. So you’ll need a winter coat, jeans, jumpers (sweaters), layering pieces and boots if you’re travelling between May and September. Melbourne is also notorious for its unpredictable year-round weather, so make sure you take a jacket or umbrella with you wherever you go.
During summer, temperatures can soar in Australia’s capital cities. For ladies, think tops and blouses in breathable fabrics, like cotton, linen and chambray. You will want to pack comfortable shoes or sneakers to pound the pavement in these cities as well. Generally, locals dress a little bit more smart than casual in cities, compared to Northern Australia, so thongs aren’t seen as often.
Clubbing attire in Australia
If dancing the night away is on your Australian agenda, it’s worth noting that many nightclubs have strict dress codes. For men, long pants are usually mandatory, as are closed toe shoes and shirts with sleeves. These same rules can also apply to men in many hotels and pubs across the country. Cities like Melbourne and Sydney also have a lot of fine-dining establishments, where similar dress codes are enforced. If you want to head to a nice restaurant for dinner, pack dress pants or a nice LBD and heels.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.