Protected by Jervis Bay Marine Park, the calm, crystal-clear waters of Jervis Bay on the NSW South Coast are tailor-made for snorkelling. Just offshore you’ll find temperate rocky reefs and kelp gardens home to myriad sea creatures including stingrays, octopi, friendly sharks and more than 210 fish species. For those keen to meet some of the marine park’s larger residents, several local operators offer the opportunity to swim with seals and humpback whales, with whales typically entering the bay in September and October.
Remember that Jervis Bay is a protected area, so it’s particularly important not to disturb natural habitats or get too close to the marine life you may encounter while exploring this incredible underwater world. When you’re ready to dive in, check out these top spots.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Tucked just inside the heads in Booderee National Park, picturesque Murrays Beach has some of the bay’s best snorkelling potential, with shallow and deep-water rock reefs, caves, sand zones, seagrass meadows and silty sand-flats to explore. Look out for squid hiding amongst the kelp (or laying eggs under the rocky shelves), and if you’re really lucky, you might even cross paths with a little penguin. Take care if heading out towards Governor Head, as the currents can be strong here.
Just south of Vincentia, this scenic small bay surrounded by coastal bushland offers particularly good snorkelling at the southern end of the bay, where you’ll find underwater forests teeming with fish and stingrays (including beautifully patterned fiddled rays, also known as banjo sharks). For a change of scenery, take the White Sands Walk to Greenfield Beach, the next bay around, for more good snorkelling around the rocky heads of the small bay.
Not only is it one of Jervis Bay’s most genetically blessed beaches, but Honeymoon Bay, tucked inside the western side of the Beecroft Peninsula, also offers some very decent snorkelling. Head out through the narrow opening of the bay to spot fish in the kelpy shallows, with rocky ledges and drop-offs home to some pretty soft corals further out. The visibility tends to be best at high tide, and when the wind isn’t blowing from the west.
Little Hyams Beach
Also known as Hyams Point, this little beach north of Jervis Bay’s most famous stretch of sand boasts the same clear water that creates excellent snorkelling conditions. Blue gropers, small stingrays and even Port Jackson sharks are often spotted in the kelp gardens and rocky reefs just off the beach, along with plenty of fish. Just north of Little Hymas, Chinamans Beach is another local snorkelling secret, generally attracting fewer snorkellers than popular Hyams.
Shark Net Beach
Just north of Huskisson Beach, quieter Shark Net Beach (named for a shark net that has since been removed) has a particularly rocky shoreline, where all sorts of marine critters like to hang out. Head up to the elevated reserve behind the beach, choose a good spot to dive in, and try not to worry about sharks, as the feisty ones rarely enter Jervis Bay.
The ancient sea caves and bountiful marine life (including endangered eastern blue devilfish and grey nurse sharks) at the southern tip of the Beecroft Peninsula are particularly popular with divers, but it’s also possible to snorkel here on a tour. Time your trip between May and October, when you might be lucky enough to swim alongside fur seals, which are known to show off by mimicking your movements and swimming around you.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.