Don’t let those one-eyed hipsters down in Melbourne convince you otherwise — Sydney’s got a thriving music scene that’s loaded with legendary live venues, offbeat record stores, and eardrum-busting festivals. Check out this list of the best places in Sydney to crank it up to 11.
Sydney is sprinkled with cracking live music venues that have had their roofs blown off by iconic bands over the years. The 5500-seat Hordern Pavilion — the Moore Park venue that’s hosted the likes of Queen, Bob Marley, The Police, Metallica and AC/DC since 1924 — and the bohemian inner-west’s Enmore Theatre — whose 2500-seat theatre has welcomed The Rolling Stones, KISS, Coldplay and Oasis over its century-old history — both cater to bigger acts, while Qudos Bank Arena at Sydney Olympic Park welcomes the world’s biggest pop stars. The Metro Theatre in the heart of the city is a great place to catch up-and-coming performers, the Oxford Art Factory in Darlinghurst turns into a lively nightclub after the curtain falls on the evening’s live music, while Marrickville’s Factory Theatre is home to a dynamic program of music and comedy acts.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
New South Wales’ unpopular lock-out laws, the rise of poker machines, and break-neck property development across Sydney have all ravaged the city’s pub music scene, which flourished in the 1970s and ‘80s. Bands like INXS, Cold Chisel, Midnight Oil and Australian Crawl all cut their teeth playing at iconic Sydney venues like Narrabeen’s Royal Antler Hotel (which was turned into upscale accommodation in the 1990s), the Civic Hotel in the city centre (a 1940s art deco pub that now hosts DJs in the old theatre), and Selina’s at the Coogee Bay Hotel, which was resurrected as a live music in September 2016, decades after it hosted the likes of David Bowie, Elton John and Nirvana in its prime. The top pick these days is the Beach Road Hotel in Bondi, with live bands usually playing for free most nights of the week in the large band room upstairs.
Spotify’s great, but it doesn’t give you the same thrill as stepping inside a musty record store brimming with classic and contemporary vinyl. Mojo isn’t just one of the best places to find rock records in Sydney, it’s also one of the city’s best small bars, serving cocktails and craft beer alongside its LPs. The enormous Red Eye Records and jazz favourite Birdland Records are both close by in the CBD. It’s no surprise that Sydney’s hippest neighbourhoods are where you’ll find your fix of quirky, cool and cutting edge music shops, like Egg Records and Repressed Records in Newtown, Radio Free Alice and The Record Store in Darlinghurst, Revolve Records & Relics in Erskineville and TITLE Store in Surry Hills.
Massive national touring festivals are dropping like flies — R.I.P. Big Day Out, Stereosonic and Future — but smaller camping events and boutique festivals are going strong around Sydney. In the city, there’s Harbourlife at Mrs Macquarie’s Point in November, Field Day in the Domain on New Year’s Day, and Days Like This at Royal Randwick in March, while Electric Gardens makes a stop at Centennial Park in January and St Jerome’s Laneway Festival hits Rozelle’s Sydney College of the Arts in February. Just outside Sydney, there’s Yours and Owls over the October long weekend in Wollongong, Subsonic north of Newcastle each December, and Lost Paradise west of Sydney at New Year’s.
Searching for the perfect soundtrack for a road trips? Flick one of these stations on the radio. You’ll find contemporary pop on Nova 96.9, 2Day Hit 104.1 and KIIS 1065, easy listening on Smooth 95.3, golden oldies on WSFM 101.7, rock on Triple M 104.9, emerging indie artists on Triple J 105.7, alternative tunes on FBi Radio 94.5, and classical music on ABC Classic FM 92.9.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.