Melbourne is renowned for its stellar nightlife, and if you’re looking to have an unforgettable evening, then this is the list for you. From frightful night tours to foodie festivals, after-hours art exhibitions and rooftop cinema – nights in Melbourne are never boring.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
NGV’s Friday Nights
Whenever a major exhibition rolls into the National Gallery of Victoria, it is accompanied by a collection of events including the Friday Nights series. The pairing of art and music allows visitors after-hours access to the latest exhibition while enjoying the finest emerging and established local and international music acts, DJ sets, food and bars.
Among the many quirky bars hidden across Melbourne is Berlin Bar, which transports you to Cold War Germany. Once cleared at the checkpoint you’ll make your way into bleak East Berlin or the lavish West Berlin, where a boozy history lesson awaits. Order a cocktail and immerse yourself in Charlie Chaplin’s The Great Dictator. The bar is accessible via Chinatown’s Little Bourke Street.
Old Melbourne Gaol Night Tours
Once occupied by Victoria’s most notorious criminals, the Old Melbourne Gaol now operates as a museum with a range of spine-tingling night tours on offer. Explore the original cell blocks in A Night in the Watch House, tour the gaol with a hangman in the Hangman’s Night Tour and listen to frightful stories in Ghost? What Ghosts! Cast in candlelight, these tours will provide a thoroughly terrifying insight into prison life.
Unleash your inner superstar at one of Melbourne’s many karaoke bars. From FM Karaoke on Bourke Street, Jankara on Russell Street, KBOX Karaoke on La Trobe Street and karaoke at Strike Bowling on Little Lonsdale Street, these venues embrace embarrassment and celebrate performance which are rarely pitch perfect. Let loose with friends or colleagues. You never know, you may discover a hidden talent.
Milk the Cow
Satisfy those late-night cheese cravings at Milk the Cow, a sophisticated wine and cheese bar. This licensed fromagerie boasts a selection of more than 150 artisan cheeses from across the globe as well as seasonal cheeses which are available to enjoy on site, by the gram or in a takeaway Cheesebox. Try a Cheesemonger’s Choice Cheeseboard, the Cheese & Booze Flights or indulge with an individual fondu pot in winter and artisan cheese gelato in summer.
In addition to the many rooftop bars, Melbourne also boasts rooftop cinemas where movie buffs can catch the latest blockbusters, cult classics and family favourites under the stars. Throughout the warmer months, Rooftop Cinema above Curtin House and Lido Rooftop on Glenferrie Road host nightly screenings where you can sit back, enjoy a snack and watch your favourite films while surrounded by Melbourne’s sparkling city skyline.
The Colonial Tramcar Restaurant
Unique to Melbourne, the fleet of Colonial Tramcar Restaurants has been a popular culinary experience since 1983. Enjoy the seasonal menu and quality Australian wines as you dine within the opulent burgundy trams while beholding city sights. The all-inclusive moving menu includes three, four or five-course meals with vegetarian and gluten-free options.
The Comics Lounge
Located in North Melbourne, The Comics Lounge is Australia’s longest-running comedy club. Generating laughs six nights a week, guests are treated to Joe King’s Bistro dinner and a three-act comedy show featuring both local and international comic geniuses. Performers include radio and television personalities such as Dave Hughes, Adam Hills and Carl Barron.
QVM Wednesday Night Market
Visiting the historic Queen Victoria Market is on every Victorian to-do list, but for a slightly different experience visit the QVM’s Wednesday Night Market. Throughout the summer and winter months from 5pm, the market hosts global food traders, specialty and design stalls as well as live music and roving entertainment.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.