Due to its proximity to rich and unique natural wonders, Port Douglas continues to attract curious and fun-seeking travellers. While neighbouring Cairns is bigger, Port Douglas has a relaxing, beach vibe that shouldn’t be sniffed at. Don’t miss these attractions when you’re in town.
The Great Barrier Reef
Thanks to jet boats, you can get to a patch of pristine reef within 15 minutes. For those who prefer to take their time, a variety of cruises and sail boats can take you to any number of coral hotspots, including Opal Reef, Agincourt Reef, the Low Isles and Ribbon Reef.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Daintree Rainforest
With just a 20-minute drive you can be in Mossman Gorge, one of the main attractions of the Daintree Rainforest. There’s also an option to drive two hours to Cape Tribulation headland, the perfect point from which to start your exploration of the oldest rainforest in the world.
Wildlife Habitat Port Douglas
This two-acre habitat is an immersive experience, allowing guests to walk among hundreds of species of native and local Australian animals. Over the four ‘habitats’ – Woodland, Wetlands, Rainforest and Savannah – you’ll see a full range of fauna, including koalas, kangaroos, crocodiles and the glorious cassowary bird.
Cooya beach with the Kubirri Warra brothers
Get to know the indigenous heritage of Australia at Kuyu Kuyu (or Cooya) beach, with a Kuku Yalanji Cultural Habitat Tour. Brothers, Linc and Brandon, will teach you how to hunt and fish like their people have for thousands of years.
Four Mile Beach
If you want a day to relax by the sea, you’ll have plenty of space to do so along the expansive shoreline of Four Mile Beach. However, be mindful to only swim in areas clearly marked and monitored by Australian lifeguards. Australian marine life is known to sting!
The meat pie is an Australian delicacy all travellers should try, but at Mocka’s pies you can go the extra mile. As well as your traditional beef, chicken and vegetable pies, Mocka also offers crocodile and kangaroo options (yes, eating kangaroo is common in Australia).
St Mary’s by the sea and Rex Smeal Park
The historic St Mary’s chapel will take you back over 100 years. Built in 1911, the white wooden church looks almost out of place among the palm trees. If you go around 5pm in winter or 6pm in summer, you can walk around to Rex Smeal Park and watch the sun set over the ocean.
Daintree Ice Cream Co.
Another unique dining experience is with the Daintree Ice Cream Co. With their very own tropical fruit orchard, Daintree ice cream is made with fascinating local ingredients. Would you care for a scoop of jackfruit or wattle seed?
Flames of the Forest
Try Australia’s only rainforest dining experience and participate in the culture of the Kuku Yalanji people. Savour a one-of-a-kind meal showcasing some delicious Australian ingredients with matching wines. The romantic location makes it a must for couples.
The Daintree Zip Line
There are countless ways to take in the scenery of the Daintree, however, none are quite as adrenaline pumping as the zip line. The Jungle Surfing Canopy Tour is a fun and unique way to see the forest from above, between seven and 16 metres above ground.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.