Port Douglas is one of Australia’s best-loved towns for many reasons—the friendly North Queensland hospitality, incredible beaches, warm Coral Sea, amazing wildlife, and the fact it’s the gateway to two World Heritage-listed sites; the Daintree Rainforest and the Great Barrier Reef.
Port Douglas is a must-do for anyone travelling the coast of Australia, and an excellent starting point to see all tropical North Queensland has to offer. Check out our list of awesome day trips from Port Douglas to get that anticipation brewing.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Tour the Daintree Rainforest
The World-Heritage listed Daintree Rainforest is one of the oldest rainforests of its kind in the world, and the largest continuous area of tropical rainforest on the continent. It’s also one of the most complex ecosystems on Earth. It’s fraught with history, as well as a diverse range of animals and plant life to explore. One of the most appealing aspects of the Daintree is its abundance of secluded swimming holes, perfect for cooling off after a day hiking in the heat.
A specialised tour company is ideal for taking you on the journey, because they’ll have expert, insider knowledge on the best walking trails and swimming holes. Hike all the way to the edge of the rainforest where it cascades down to meet the sea, and you’ll meet another World-Heritage listed site—the world famous Great Barrier Reef.
Daintree Wonder Tours are those kind of experts, running full day trips that explore the tranquillity of Mossman Gorge, cruise the mighty Daintree River in search for crocs and other native animals, and take you through some of the best walking tracks and swimming spots in the region. Lunch, morning tea and scoops of delicious tropical ice cream are included—which is a great incentive and well-needed after a full day of sunny adventures. Incredible memories and photo opportunities await!
Explore the Great Barrier Reef
Well, this was always going to top the list because let’s face it, the Great Barrier Reef is the reason you’re even in Far North Queensland. The largest living thing on Earth and visible from outer space, the reef is home to hundreds of kinds of coral, and thousands of species of marine life. Dotting the surface are hundreds of sun-soaked islands, with isolated white beaches. There are several ways to appreciate this natural wonder of the world, including diving, snorkelling, helicopter tours, glass-bottomed boat expeditions and whale and dolphin watching.
The best way to get close to the reef is on a snorkelling day trip. Local tour companies offer several options, but one of the best reefs to see the diversity of marine life is the pristine Low Isles, where you can see fish and coral up close, hopefully spot a sea turtle, and explore the beautiful beaches on the surface.
Locally recommended tour company Wavedancer offers unique day trips to Low Isles, an unspoilt tropical paradise. Sail on their 30-metre sailing catamaran Wavedancer, it’s the perfect way to get as close to the reef as you ethically can. The friendly crew will take you to the best snorkelling locations, and a marine biologist will point out the different species and give an informative talk on the preservation of the reef. Relax on deck and enjoy a buffet lunch with fresh seafood, as well as morning and afternoon tea—it’s a long day of swimming and exploring the fringed paradise you’ll have all to yourself, so you need the energy.
Visitors are limited each day to protect the reef’s ecology, so it’s a great way to get an intimate view of one of the most breathtaking natural wonders on Earth with an informed crew that will be able to answer your every question.
Take a river cruise
If you want to experience the local wildlife of tropical north Queensland (read: giant saltwater crocs) a river cruise is a must. Even without the 95% guarantee you’ll see a crocodile, the mangrove ecosystem and the views of the mountains are reason to go in itself. The dry season is the best time to spot a crocodile—although their population is dwindling—the cruise companies know their favourite sunbathing spots and their territories. Crocs tend to be solitary and very territorial, so it’s always an adrenaline rush when you spot the creature in its native habitat.
There’s other wildlife to see aside from crocodiles—large birds of prey such as brahminy kites, ospreys, and white-bellied sea eagles can be spotted swooping the river for their lunch, with mangrove herons and majestic kingfishers watching on, perched high in the mangroves.
The boats also pass along the harbour and waterfronts for amazing coastal views, as well as through Dickson Inlet, where the mangroves are thick—the flora you can see there is the most characteristic of estuarine areas in Far North Queensland, as your captain will point out.
A great eco-friendly company is Lady Douglas River Cruises. Their cruises depart daily, with each adventure exploring as far up Dickson Inlet as you can possibly go. An entertaining and informative commentary covers mangroves, crocodiles, local history of Port Douglas and all there is to know about the area.
Go for a sunset sail
Watch the sun go down behind the breathtaking Mossman Gorge, enjoying a glass of wine or cold beer and nibbling on cheese on the deck of a boat—just the way Port Douglas is meant to be seen.
A sunset cruise is the picture-perfect way to remember your visit to Port Douglas. Indigo is the only vessel that runs two-hour twilight cruises, giving you plenty of time to hit up the complimentary finger food. It takes a capacity of 12 guests, so there aren’t any crowds and you’re guaranteed prime views of the harbour and surrounding mountains. The cruises are BYO drinks, so take as many bottles as your esky can carry and arrive early to snag a good seat. The cruises depart from the Reef Marina at 4.30pm and return at 6.30pm—close to all the fantastic harbourfront restaurants and bars to continue your night out.
Mossman Gorge Guided Dreamtime Walk
If you want to learn about the history and culture of the land surrounding Daintree Rainforest and Mossman Gorge, take a guided Ngadiku Dreamtime Walk. Conducted by the local indigenous people, Ngadiku (pronounced nar-di-gul) means stories and legends from many years ago, in the local Kuku Yakanji language.
The walks take visitors on a private, historical journey through the culture of one of the oldest tribes in the world, visiting culturally significant sights, traditional bark shelters (or ‘gunyahs’), and through the beautiful rainforest of Mossman Gorge. Your guide will welcome you with a traditional smoking ceremony, cleansing the air and warding off bad spirits. They guide you through the overgrown rainforest, teaching you traditional plant uses, identifying read bush tucker, and telling you some of the oldest stories of the Dreamtime.
There’s nothing like being taken through such an enchanting part of Australia with a tribe that has the most connected history with the land, and being shown how to make bush soaps, and painting with traditional ‘ochre’, a paint made with clay found in certain parts of the rainforest. At the end of your walk, they even make you traditional bush tea and damper—regular bread and a cup of Lipton will never be as satisfying again.
Mossman Gorge Voyage Centre runs half-day tours, picking you up from Port Douglas and taking you to Mossman Gorge. The groups are made up of a maximum of 15 people and allows exclusive access to the Kuku Yalanji Land.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.