Ever since the first French fur trappers crossed into Jackson Hole in the 19th century, the valley has been a magnet for adventurers. Today, the world-class destination is populated by cowboys, bohemians and ski bums. Join them in experiencing the area’s famous outdoor pursuits, which provide natural social distancing, as well as lesser-known activities. Luckily, the stringent anti-Covid measures of local businesses mean you can still experience Jackson Hole with the area’s characteristic laid-back attitude.
Look the part
The blend of cowboy and alpine fashion that’s typical of Jackson Hole has been termed “cowpine”. That’s exactly what you’ll find at Stio in Jackson, which blends elegance with modern insulating technology under its own brand. Around the corner, MADE sells eclectic wares made by local artisans alongside glass belt buckles designed by the owner, John Frechette, including one modeled on the Wyoming Flag.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Discover western treasures
A font of local knowledge, Mary Schmitt supplies vintage western and national park memorabilia to the likes of Ralph Lauren stores and the Cowgirl Hall of Fame, as well as western museums around the US. Go right to the source and call for an appointment at her store in Jackson Hole, Cayuse Western Americana, where antique furniture, vintage posters and western oddities compete for space. Especially fascinating are the elaborate filigree belts and “wearable art” created by inmates from Wyoming penitentiaries.
Fuel up at Creekside Market and Deli
Before a day spent skiing or snowboarding, do what the townies do and stop off at Creekside Market and Deli on the north end of Jackson for specialty trail mix, drinks and outstanding gourmet sandwiches to keep you going on the slopes. Feast on sandwiches that are freshly made to order in the local deli and sip on one of the famous slushies, or pick up a picnic lunch deal to fuel up ahead of a day of exploring.
Head to the slopes
Lift tickets are required to be booked in advance this year in order to ensure social distancing. One upside of this is that there’s going to be less competition for Jackson Hole’s famous powder this winter. Take advantage of this unique opportunity to book a coveted spot on the aerial tram up to the pinnacle of Jackson Hole Mountain Resort. Experienced skiers and snowboarders can challenge themselves on Courbet’s Couloir, considered one of the most challenging inbound ski runs in North America. Those in the know head to the other side of the Tetons to the Grand Targhee Resort, which is far quieter and has western-facing slopes where the fluffier snow tends to gather at an amazing average rate of 500in (13m) per year.
Hike or ski the Gros Ventre
For a more relaxing adventure, head to Emily’s Pond on the eastern side of the Snake River in Wilson. Most of the flat trail is groomed in winter, so you might wish to rent a pair of cross-country skis or snowshoes to explore the route, admiring the views of the river – where elk congregate – and the Teton Range in the background. Although the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone on the northern edge of the valley are frequented by hikers, the far less-traveled Gros Ventre Wilderness in the Bridger-Teton National Forest offers outstanding trail systems for every level, with undisturbed wildlife, including moose and even the occasional wolf.
Check out Jackson Hole’s contemporary art
When the valley’s cognoscenti shops for contemporary art, their first stop is often the Tayloe Piggott Gallery. The downtown Jackson gallery has been on the cutting edge of art and design for a quarter of a century. The gallery hosts rotating shows for established and up-and-coming artists, often from the surrounding community. Owner Tayloe Piggott’s sharp eye extends to the exceptional jewelry and customized western furniture that you can also buy at the gallery.
Experience the flavours of Lebanon in the Tetons
Hotel Jackson, with its bleached wood, stone and steel interiors, might be a relative newcomer to Jackson, but it sets the standard for sleek luxury and comfort. If you’ve had your fill of cowboy cuisine during your time in Jackson, you’ll be pleased to hear that the Lebanese-Mediterranean hotel restaurant, FIGS, is widely considered one of the best Middle Eastern restaurants in Wyoming.
Join Wort Hotel’s bluegrass night
A slice of local history, the elegant Wort Hotel dates back to 1941. It’s now a comfortably modernized place to stay that doubles as a repository of Western art. The Wort’s Silver Dollar Bar & Grill once served a stint as an illegal casino but now it’s a hopping spot for live music and Western cuisine. Join the suspenders n’ boots crowd on the dancefloor on Tuesdays for the bar’s renowned weekly bluegrass jam session.
Dance at “Church”
For the past eight decades, the Stagecoach Bar has been the focal point for the otherwise quiet town of Wilson, Wyoming. While it’s not currently possible to put on the Sunday night dancing, when things return to normal don’t miss “Church” from 6pm to 10pm, when crowds two-step to the banjo-picking country music of the world-famous Stagecoach Band.
For more information and to plan a trip to this wonderful winter destination, head to visitjacksonhole.com, and be sure to check the Covid restriction information and border status before travelling.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.