From elegant five-star stays to affordable hotels with rooftop pools, and hip hangouts for activists, this is our pick of the best hotels near Washington Union Station – bookable on Culture Trip.
Washington Union Station is the stereotypical ‘popular girl’ of stations. She’s beautiful, she’s sought after, and she’s at the centre of everything. Inside, there are plenty of shops and casual restaurants, while DC’s most-visited landmarks are within walking distance. As are the bars and eateries of the buzzing Penn Quarter. Anywhere that’s not close by can be reached via the station’s many Metro lines and trains. Staying nearby is a great choice when you want to get stuck in and explore the city. Here’s where you should lay your head.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
You know your hotel’s in a good spot when you can step outside and see the Capitol Building at the end of the street. And that’s exactly what you get at the Hyatt Regency Washington, which is also just three blocks from Union Station. In the hotel itself there are spacious guest rooms, a gym and swimming pool, and an all-American grill called Article One. Don’t miss the ribeye, grilled to perfection and topped with a thick slab of beer-and-bourbon butter, with cloud-soft, garlic-whipped potatoes and asparagus on the side. And check if the salt-crusted prime rib is on as a special – if it is, you know what to do.
As you might have guessed from the name, this elegant hotel is within walking distance of most of DC’s best-known attractions, including the Capitol Building. If walking isn’t for you, however, it’s just six minutes from Union Station, where you can easily catch the Metro to get around instead. Refuel after a day on the move at the hotel’s Bistro 525, which serves hearty but high-quality fare. Dishes range from roasted pork shoulder bao buns to fig and prosciutto flatbread, or even a beige-licious Wisconsin fish fry. Then there’s the onsite convenience store open 24/7 for any late-night or early-morning cravings.
When it’s sunny outside, you might struggle to tear yourself away from YOTEL Washington DC’s rooftop pool and lounge Deck 11 (open from late May to September). And who could blame you, when you’re getting served watermelon frozé as you recline in a poolside cabana? Venture outside, though, and you’ll see you’re just a few blocks from sights such as the Capitol Building and the Smithsonian museums. Head back in time for dinner at the hotel’s Art and Soul restaurant, where modern American fare is made from ingredients sourced from the Chesapeake Bay watershed communities. The grilled swordfish is a must try.
You get a lot of bang for your buck at Motto: a great location in Chinatown; sleek, minimalist bedrooms; and four spots to eat and drink in. Start your day off with a mug of locally roasted Blanchard’s coffee at the Crimson Coffee Bar, hit up Crimson Diner for southern comfort food like jumbo chicken wings, and splash out on a sundowner on the Crimson View bar’s terrace. The hotel’s whiskey bar, with its brooding aesthetic, regular live music, and interesting array of whiskeys, is the perfect place to round off the day with a dram or two.
If you’re looking for a more luxurious stay, you’ll love this five-star bolthole in the city centre. Its muted colour scheme, marble bathroom tiles and simple modern furnishings give it a look of pared-back elegance. It’s not style over substance, though. Every aspect of a stay here has been considered, resulting in useful additions like a concierge app, and free fruit and headphones in the gym. Then there’s its incredible location, a 15-minute walk from the White House.
When former clients have included Presidents Lincoln, Eisenhower and Grant, you know you’re staying at the right place. That was, to be honest, back when Riggs Washington DC was a bank that some 23 former presidents trusted to keep their cash safe, rather than the swanky four-star hotel it is today. Still, a stay here is worth its weight in gold for its handy location near the White House and Union Station (less than a 30-minute walk), the excessively lavish, caviar grilled cheese at European brasserie Cafe Riggs, and the grown-up jello shots at experimental cocktail bar Silver Lyan, hidden away in the former bank vault.
It’s not every day you get gifted a healing crystal upon checking into your hotel, but this starting token tells you everything you need to know about hip hotel Eaton DC. Standing tall on K Street (a street known for lobbying), this progressive place is a meeting spot for social justice seekers, activists, and generally progressive individuals. Even if you’re not an activist yourself, you’ll likely be converted by a stay here, thanks to the political art, carefully curated library, and regular author talks. This vibe mingles nicely with the New Age one, which continues throughout the hotel. It even extends to the minibar, which is stocked with kombucha, moringa shots and tarot cards (don’t eat them).
For more accommodation options in Washington, check out the best family-friendly hotels perfect for the little ones, or the most famous historical stays in the heart of modern America’s birthplace – bookable now with Culture Trip. There are endless things to do in the capital with the best outdoor activities, or expand your horizons with a weekend trip outside the city.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.