The Shenandoah Valley is a rich cultural and geographic region located in the western part of the Commonwealth of Virginia, between the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Ridge-and-Valley Appalachian Mountains. The area is rich in natural resources, providing about one quarter of Virginia’s farm produce, thus it is perhaps unsurprising that it is becoming a hub of foodie culture. Enjoy our guide to the best Shenandoah Valley restaurants for farm to table dining.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Butcher Station
The Butcher Station’s website tells you all you need to know; ‘we bake our own bread. We roast our own meat’. The restaurant serves fresh, organic and local meals, because they believe local food simply tastes better. The Butcher Station avoids purchasing ingredients from industrial farms that use hormones and antibiotics. The restaurant also sells local meats and dairy products for consumers to cook at home.
The Green Leaf Grill
The Green Leaf Grill is located in Waynesboro, and specializes in ‘comfort food with a twist’. Made with fresh local ingredients, Green Leaf Grill’s menu focuses on vegetarian options, gourmet pizza and New Orleans-style cuisine. The bar offers a large selection of local wines and craft beers to accompany your meal.
Located in historic Lexington, Haywood’s is part of The Georges Inn, which occupies two sides of the city’s Main Street. Steeped in Virginia hospitality, Haywood’s features a piano bar that creates a festive atmosphere. The menu is designed to highlight fresh, regional ingredients and a variety of small dishes.
Joshua Wilton House
The Joshua Wilton House restaurant is located in the historic home of Joshua Wilton, an influential businessman who came to Shenandoah Valley shortly after the American Civil War. Among other accomplishments, Wilton is credited with bringing electricity to the area. The restaurant features five dining rooms adorned with local art, and diners can also enjoy an outdoor patio and garden. The menu is inspired by local and seasonal produce.
Local Chop & Grill House
Local Chop & Grill House is a mainstay Harrisonburg restaurant that is a local favourite. The menu is focused on providing food from local, organic farms using sustainable farming methods. A percentage of sales from Local Grill & Chop House are given back to local nonprofits and community organizations.
The Red Hen
The Red Hen was Lexington’s very first farm-to-table restaurant and today it continues a strong tradition of serving food raised by Shenandoah Valley farmers. The red brick structure, garnished with gingerbread trim, invites guests to enter and make themselves at home. A new menu is created each day to showcase the best of what local farmers have to offer.
Located inside a small, unpretentious red building, The Shack offers a communal dining experience in the small Shenandoah Valley city of Staunton, Virginia. After graduating from the New England Culinary Institute and working at several top tier restaurants in New York City, Chef Ian Boden decided to return to his Virginian roots and set up his own establishment. His wife’s family are from the nearby town of Swoope and much of The Shack’s menu is inspired by her grandmother’s home cooking.
Tucked away in historic downtown Staunton, Virginia, Zynodoa sources produce from independent farms across the state. Much of the produce and livestock come directly from the Shenandoah Valley and the seafood comes from Chesapeake Bay. Diners at Zynodoa can enjoy the scenic setting of Staunton’s historic downtown. Zynodoa is also just a block away from the Blackfriars Theater, a nationally-acclaimed Shakespeare Center.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.