Tennessee living is all about family, faith, and food. But each city in the Volunteer State has its own ups and downs to consider. Whether you’re planning a move to Tennessee, or just planning to pass through, here is how two of the state’s largest cities compare.
Both Nashville and Memphis have family-friendly museums, great restaurants, parks and plenty to see and do. Both are rich in culture and diversity. The population in Memphis has been steadily decreasing; whereas the booming real estate market in Nashville keeps the city growing. Nashville has continued to be one of the highest ranked U.S. cities for economic growth. When it comes to education, neither city ranks among the top in the nation, but Nashville test scores are almost 50% higher than those in Memphis.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Young, unmarried couples, or those without children, who are looking for a place with ample food and entertainment venues would be pleased with either Nashville or Memphis. Couples who enjoy being out and about will find more options in Nashville, but they might come at a higher price. Young couples who aren’t yet ready to buy a home will find affordable housing for rent in Nashville or Memphis, but those looking to become homeowners will probably find that Memphis has more places suited for a starter home budget. Crime rates are definitely higher in Memphis, so couples who like to stay out late or walk to and from their destinations should consider this while planning their many adventures.
Memphis is known for its barbecue, Nashville for its spicy chicken. However, you’ll find both of these specialties in both cities, and neither one is better than the other. Southern food is quite delicious all across the board, so you won’t be disappointed with the food selection in either Tennessee city. Many restaurants are family owned, providing menus full of items made from scratch. Popular sides that are often served with southern dishes include mac ‘n cheese, collard greens, sweet potato fries and cornbread. No matter which southern location you end up dining at, you will not leave hungry or dissatisfied.
For the Budget-Conscious
The cost of living in Memphis is definitely more manageable for those on a budget. To maintain the same standard of living, you would need to earn just over $43,000 a year in Memphis, compared to at least $50,000 in Nashville. Incomes in Nashville are 27% higher than in Memphis, however, the median home price in Nashville is 73% higher than in Memphis. The cost of amenities and living is approximately the same in both cities, with Nashville ranking slightly higher overall.
For Live Music
Much like the food scenes in Nashville and Memphis, the music communities are just as competitive. In Memphis, there’s world-famous Beale Street, where you’ll find B.B. King’s Blues Club and other venues. Nashville has streets downtown full of honky tonks, as well as other places to hear live music throughout the city. One downside to Memphis is that other than Beale Street, there isn’t much of a nightlife. Nashville, on the other hand, has pockets where there are bars full of college students and other establishments that stay open late for entertaining guests.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.