Less than five miles from downtown Cincinnati, Hyde Park Square showcases the best of city living alongside the beauty of Victorian-era architecture. Thousands of visitors stroll along the square to shop, dine, and drink every year.
Cincinnati’s community of Hyde Park was founded in 1896. The quaint, quiet beauty of its historic buildings, green spaces, and flower-laden gardens stood out against the hustle and bustle of city life. In 1900, the Kilgour family donated a fountain for the center of the neighborhood square (as an “apology” for the construction of a public trolley line, no less!).
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Kilgour Fountain is still the centerpiece of Hyde Park Square at Cincinnati’s Erie Avenue between Michigan and Edwards, a stunning shopping district with over 175 restaurants, markets, art galleries, salons, and boutiques. Dotted with benches and street vendors against a backdrop of sprawling lawns, flowering trees, and landscaped parks, Hyde Park Square makes for an ideal afternoon of shopping or night on the town.
Some of Hyde Park Square’s most popular eateries include Graeter’s Ice Cream, a Cincinnati favorite featuring handmade French pot ice cream, and The Echo, a neighborhood restaurant that has served up modern takes on classic, old-school dishes for decades. Try Echo lunch and dinner specialties like the Funky Chicken Sandwich (mushroom, banana peppers, and jack cheese atop chicken) or hearty breakfast meals such as Glier’s German Greats (eggs, goetta, potato cakes, baked apples, and toast) and the Hyde Parker (an omelette with mozzarella, spinach, and tomatoes). If it’s sweets you’re after, try the Macaron Bar, a bakery devoted solely to delicate French macarons in every flavor, from lemon lavender and mint julep to pistachio and birthday cake.
Hyde Park Square is also known for its wineries and bars, including the Unwind Wine Bar—a rustic, classy late-night spot perfect for date night—and the Cork & Cap, a neighborhood joint serving up craft beers and local wines in a laid-back atmosphere.
The gift shops, high-end clothing stores, and specialty boutiques in Hyde Park Square also make for an adventurous afternoon of shopping (or maybe just window shopping, if you’re on a budget), whether you’re looking for designer duds or quirky handmade items.
Knickers of Hyde Park offers luxury, custom-made lingerie, sleepwear, and swimwear; Alligator Purse, like many of the neighborhood’s eclectic boutiques, sells jewelry, shoes, clothing, and accessories by Diane von Furstenburg and Rag & Bone as well as local artists. Castle House features high-end pieces just for the little ones in your life, while Lululemon and its “little sister,” Ivivva, specialize in yoga, dance, and athletic wear.
Hyde Park Square hosts a number of special events each year to delight tourists and locals. The neighborhood has hosted the annual Hyde Park Art Show, the largest juried arts event in the entire Midwest, for over 50 years. Weekly Sunday farmers’ markets from May to October are also a popular draw, while Hyde Park BLAST hosts races and games for kids and adults alike, and the Hyde Park Holiday Happening fills the neighborhood with the sounds of carolers and the aroma of nutmeg.
Rededicated in 1976, Hyde Park Square remains a Cincinnati mainstay and a regional landmark.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.