Kent, Ohio—a small city 50 minutes from downtown Cleveland—is a college town, home to Kent State University. Its west side downtown historic district is also a picturesque hub of food, fun, and retail. Main Street Kent, now in its tenth year, makes for an ideal day trip from the Cleveland area.
Kent, OH, is known for its many parks, stunning historic homes, and leafy green landscapes (it’s called the “Tree City” for a reason). Recently, however, it’s become just as well-known for its revitalized downtown area, where local businesses are booming. If you’re looking for a day trip or weekend getaway from Cleveland or Akron, Main Street Kent is a perfect pick for a couples’ vacation, solo afternoon, or family outing.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Start your day in Kent by sipping coffee from Scribbles Coffee Shop and browsing the shelves at Last Exit Books, a vibrant independent bookstore and vinyl record shop in Main Street Kent’s Acorn Alley. A neighborhood favorite for rare CDs, vintage records, and used books, Last Exit has a coffeehouse of its own and a cozy, retro vibe.
Stop for lunch and day drinking at Ray’s Place, a two-story beer and burger hotspot with over 60 brews on tap, or Twisted Meltz, an artisanal sandwich restaurant with dozens of variations on the traditional grilled cheese. Build your own grilled cheese, choosing from conventional toppings alongside quirkier options such as maple syrup and blueberry-infused sausage, or try a Twisted Meltz special like the Michael Keaton: ribeye topped with melted mozzarrella and horseradish chive cheese and ale mustard.
If you’re up for some afternoon shopping, Main Street Kent is home to a variety of specialty boutiques and gift shops. Find notebooks, fine pens, and art supplies at Red Letter Days, toys for both kids and grownups at offbeat novelty store Off the Wagon, and cute clothing and accessories at Gracylane, Carnaby Street Style, and Figleaf Boutique.
Top off your browsing session with vintage and international sweets and sodas from the Main Street retro-contemporary candy shop Sugar Rush or teeny-tiny donuts in flavors like raspberry lemonade, Samoa, salted pretzel, and strawberry French toast from Peace Love and Little Donuts.
Other attractions in Kent include a variety of art galleries selling local, national, and international art from knick-knacks to high-end pieces, as well as the Kent Historical Society Museum and the Kent State Museum. Nearby parks are also available for biking, hiking, and picnicking, including the Dan Smith Community Park, a “pocket park” in the heart of downtown with swings, tables and chairs, a climbable wooden train for kids, and games for all ages. Adventurous types can also book a session at Cracked, a “live action puzzle room” similar to an escape room.
The nightlife along Kent’s Main Street ranges from casual pubs with live music, including Brewhouse Pub, to craft beer offerings at 101 Bottles of Beer and MadTree Brewing Company. Upscale dining is available at the Franklin Hotel Bar, a swanky, intimate craft cocktail spot with small plates and a lengthy wine list, and Italian eatery Treno Ristorante.
You might want to visit Main Street Kent on a day when it’s hosting one of its many annual special events. Each year, Kent’s downtown is abuzz with activity for dozens of community celebrations, festivals, and concerts.
From the Ugly Christmas Sweater Tavern Trek to the Chocolate Walk, a wizardry-themed Potterfest, an Arbor Day Celebration hosted by MadTree Brewing Company, the Art and Wine festival, and numerous musical events, there are plenty of options whether you want to trick or treat with little ones, browse local art on a date, or enjoy a boozier night out with friends.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.