Seemingly growing more amazing by the year, Asheville is becoming a true jewel in the crown of North Carolina. Whether you’re in town for the Blue Ridge Mountains, Biltmore Estate or award-winning breweries, restaurants and mom-and-pop cafes, you’ll fall in love with this charming Tar Heel State town. Explore the area by making one of these hotels, inns or B&Bs your base – bookable on Culture Trip.
Within walking distance of downtown, the Black Walnut was designed by the same architect who helped craft the Biltmore Estate. Original diamond-paned windows are among the many century-old details that you’ll spy in your restored guest room at this B&B. After dropping your bags in your room, join other guests in the parlor for afternoon tea and treats before setting out to explore the many breweries in the city. No matter how late your night runs, fresh coffee and a full made-from-scratch breakfast await you every morning in the dining room or on the covered front porch.
Get to know Asheville’s Montford Area Historic District with a stay at the Abbington Green. This charming B&B blends history, style and romance, with each suite featuring a king bed, fireplace and whirlpool tub. Extra perks include discounted tickets to the Biltmore Estate, a complimentary wine tasting at the Saint Paul Mountain Farms and a guests-only spa to make your first time in Asheville especially memorable. Also, be sure to stroll over to Montford Park to play pickleball or check out the annual arts and music festivals hosted there.
Why visit the Biltmore Estate when you can spend the night surrounded by such glamour? Treat yourself to your very own summer home in the mountains and freely access the Biltmore’s gardens, grounds, winery and village on a whim. All meals, including alcoholic beverages, can be delivered straight to your terrace room if you’d rather not saunter down to the Dining Room or Library Lounge. From the spa to the hot tub, you can take in the luxurious amenities at your leisure.
There’s no doubt that the historic hotels in Asheville add a sense of grandeur to the city, but for those seeking out a more modern affair, the boutique Haywood Park Hotel and Atrium delivers luxury in spades. Grand king suites pamper you with wide city views, large jacuzzi tubs and separate living spaces. At Isa’s Bistro, you can savor baked eggs, North Carolina chicken and french toast for breakfast, though grab your early-afternoon drink at Hemingway’s Cuba next door, with its roof terrace overlooking the Blue Ridge Mountains.
Sneak away from downtown and treat your partner to a romantic stay at 1889 WhiteGate Inn and Cottage. The WhiteGate signature treatment in the spa and the private two-person jacuzzi tubs and steam showers in most rooms offer plenty of space to relax, but the inn’s award-winning gardens are where you’ll find supreme tranquility. Visit one of the coffee shops in the area, and bring a latte back to the gardens while enjoying a crisp afternoon in peace.
With each suite containing a private bathroom, separate living area and fully equipped kitchen, you’ll have no trouble feeling right at home in the Windsor Boutique Hotel. Mixing rustic vibes with Parisienne style, the hotel’s adorned with unique artwork and decor from local and French designers. Whether you have a taste for fine art, chocolate or wine, the Benjamin Walls Art Gallery and Wine Bar in the lobby will indulge you for hours.
To state the obvious, the sweet-potato biscuits and other made-from-scratch breakfast items – such as vegetable hash and black-pepper grits – served at the Sweet Biscuit Inn each morning are simply delightful. This three-course meal is best followed by a long sip of fresh coffee on the front porch. End your day by sipping craft beer around the cozy firepit, but if you choose to retire early, the wood-burning fire in your room should do the trick.
Though not on the Biltmore Estate, the Biltmore Village Inn exudes the same elegance and luxury that the Vanderbilts’ private attorney embraced when he called this bed and breakfast home. Sleep in Mr Reed’s master bedroom and enjoy dual Victorian fireplaces, mountain views and a 300-year-old antique armoire. If you want to get a sense of how Mr Vanderbilt himself used to open his eyes, you should stay in the Vanderbilt room, modeled after the patriarch’s bedroom at his estate.
Want to relax? Discover our guide to the best spas in Asheville. Get closer to the splendor of nature by staying at one of the best places to camp near Asheville. For accommodation options with a bit more sparkle, check out the best luxury hotels in Asheville, bookable through Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.