The secret is out: once touted as a hidden gem, Asheville in North Carolina is one of the most popular cities along the Appalachian Trail. Outdoor adventures, a bustling historic downtown, and southern charm are enough to draw anyone to Asheville, but the city’s lavish hotels will certainly convince you to stay a while longer. Room service, resort-caliber amenities, and chic cocktails in these luxury hotels make for a luxe vacation in the Blue Ridge Mountains – bookable with Culture Trip.
With the Biltmore Estate as your neighbor, the sophisticated guest rooms of the Grand Bohemian will spoil you from head to toe. Seasoned steaks at the Red Stag Grill and steamy body scrubs in the Poseidon Spa engulf your senses. Choose a delicious breakfast of eggs, toast, and fruit in bed or on your balcony as you wake up to views of Asheville. Enjoy an invigorating workout in the well-equipped fitness center, then head out to grab a cup of coffee from the Starbucks across the street, en route to your day in the Blue Ridge Mountains.
A subterranean spa, a Donald Ross-designed golf course, and four dedicated restaurants with locally-sourced menus will lure you out of the five-star retreat-style suites at the Omni Grove Park Inn. Roam into the mountains on a wild food foraging experience or stay in and let the kids run wild in the 50,000sqft (4,600sqm) sports complex. Have a four-legged friend in tow? The pet-friendly Vanderbilt Wing will give your dog stunning views of the Blue Ridge Mountains that it will be begging to explore.
The Inn on Biltmore Estate delivers the same renowned world-class hospitality you’d expect from the former home of the Vanderbilt family. From the winery and spa to the Library Lounge and Antler Hill Village, the grounds are your playground for the length of your stay. For unrivalled luxury, the Chateau Tier Grand King Room is elegantly adorned with comfortable seating and top-tier amenities. With 24-hour concierge service and in-room dining, you can spend all weekend dressed in nothing but a custom robe, slippers, and unparalleled luxury.
A historical stalwart of Asheville, this hotel once housed the foundry that forged steel for the Biltmore mansion. Today, its prime location on “The Block” keeps you within walking distance of the best breweries and eateries in the city. If you want to remove yourself from the hustle and bustle, the presidential suite is a hideaway with a private patio, mini-fridge with indulgent goodies, and a wet bar where you can pour a scotch and admire the warm dark wood accents and foundry-inspired artwork adorning the walls.
Pull off the Blue Ridge Parkway and pack away your car keys the moment you arrive at DoubleTree by Hilton. The indoor heated pool with retractable skylight roof means even a rainy day can be spent poolside. A complimentary shuttle will take you to downtown Asheville during the day, and at night you can get scooped up for an Asheville Rooftop Bar Tour right outside the lobby. Should you desire a relaxing afternoon, head to the nearby Biltmore Estate for golf, garden tours, and wine tastings.
Escape from the lively sights and sounds of Asheville into the true spirit of western North Carolina at Cascades Mountain Resort. This hotel is a half-hour drive from downtown Asheville, and an even shorter trip from historic Hendersonville. Cascading waterfall gardens and crackling fires in the indoor pool area will convince you to leave your cozy suite behind and spend hours exploring the nearby hiking trails. Start off your day with a hearty spread at Sunday Brunch and end the evening with a bit of bubbly in the lounge or hot tub.
Asheville will redefine having a case of the blues when you stay at Hotel Indigo. Penthouse suites let you lounge lavishly with a soaking tub, gas fireplace, and floor-to-ceiling windows, while the gourmet small plates at oneFIFTYone Bar and Kitchen offer the chance to savor local flavors from nearby farms. The Asheville Visitor Center is across the street from your suite, where you can see what’s popping around town. May we suggest a downtown ghost tour for late-night fun? It’s a perfect excuse to curl up under your king sheets for the rest of the night.
Mix business with a briefcase full of pleasure at Crowne Plaza Resort. Break out of the conference room and into the Blue Ridge Mountains for zip-lining, golf, tennis, mountain biking, a ropes course, and more, all on-site. Celebrate closing the sale of a lifetime with full-body pampering at the spa or hop on the free shuttle for a shopping spree around town. When you’re ready to punch the clock and head home, mix a drink in the Thomas Wolfe Suite with your coworkers and raise a toast to getting the job done.
Let your desires be fulfilled before you can even summon the wish at Kimpton Hotel Arras, the “Paris of the South”. Peloton bikes are ready to ride in the fitness center; those incidentals you might forget to pack are available at the front desk; Asheville’s Literary Hub has a curated selection of books for you to thumb through in the hotel living room, and the hotel’s prime location near the hip tapas joint Curate will leave you with every wish met. And that’s all before you discover the canvas of beauty and calm in your chic suite.
A locally roasted espresso and a made-from-scratch cookie are waiting for you in the sunroom of the 1900 Inn on Montford. The soft twang of mountain music fills the porch every evening, inviting you to embrace Asheville’s rhythmic culture with a cold glass of iced tea in hand. At the top of your itinerary should be an in-room couples’ massage, followed by a steam bath and a cuddle on the king bed in a luxurious robe.
A century old and still as charming as ever, the Princess Anne Hotel’s Southern hospitality begins with a full breakfast and extends long after the complimentary afternoon wine and hors d’oeuvres hour. Clawfoot bathtubs in the superior suites give you a reason to spend all evening sipping fresh coffee in a luxurious terry cloth bathrobe. Feel like making your friends back home jealous? Princess Anne’s staff will send an envy-inducing postcard to the address of your choice.
Want to relax? Discover our guide to the best spas in Asheville.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.