Narrowing it down to just 10 scenic places to go camping near Asheville is a challenge because this nature lovers’ paradise has over one million acres of protected national forest and lots of lakes and waterways for waterfront camping. With options near cool geographical elements like balds and knobs, an Asheville camping trip can provide almost any kind of scenery.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Let’s start at the top, and in this case, that means Mount Mitchell. As the highest peak east of the Mississippi, Mount Mitchell stands nearly 7,000 feet high and is only 45 minutes from downtown Asheville. The season runs from April through Halloween, and campers can reserve one of nine tent sites or backpack in and grab a primitive spot.
This area’s busiest time of year happens in June when the pink rhododendrons bloom. Several picnic tables can be found here and some good trails along with a visitor center. It’s also an ideal spot to catch a sunset.
This easy hill leads to 360-degree views of several counties in both North Carolina and Tennessee. Many Appalachian Trail hikers stop here to set up camp for these legendary views that have earned this area the nickname “The Crown Jewel of the Appalachian Trail.”
Another camping area that has earned a prestigious nickname, Panthertown Valley, also goes by the name “Yosemite of the East.” A number of ecological features can be found in this area of the Nantahala National Forest, including gorges, bogs and waterfalls. This National Heritage Area can be reached in about 90 minutes from Asheville.
The Linville Falls area has so much to offer. There’s the Linville Gorge and its hikes with sweeping views, the powerful Linville Falls – especially after a hard rain – and the Linville Caverns. So, setting up camp at the Linville Falls Campground serves as an ideal home base for visitors that would like the use of a bathhouse, washer/dryers or full hook-up sites.
One of the benefits of camping at Mt. Pisgah is the proximity to the Mt. Pisgah Inn and Restaurant and a cute country store should your camping party need any supplies or want a cooked meal during your stay. Camping options include RV and tent options, and the campground is only 20 miles from downtown.
Black Balsam Knob
Considered a must-see along the Blue Ridge Parkway’s many stop-worthy mileposts, camping at Black Balsam Knob is best for practiced campers. No fires can be built around this knob, so camp stoves are recommended, and the rangers require all food to be stored in containers specifically designed to keep bears away.
Lake James State Park
Lake James has very few houses on its banks, making a camping experience there feel very private and peaceful. A rental center also sits next to the park’s beach area so campers can enjoy inexpensive kayak and canoe rentals or just go for a dip. Reserve either walk-in or drive-in spots, or one of 30 boat-in only spots that each have a fire pit and picnic table.
If having a nearby place to swim or fish is on your camping wish list, then head to the Carolina Hemlocks Recreation Area & Campground. Situated along the South Toe River, this destination has some river view sites as well as RV spots. Also a great option for those wanting to explore Mount Mitchell.
The Deep Creek area sits at the mouth of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park near Bryson City, where campers could opt to take a day trip on the Great Smoky Mountain Railroad. The National Park camping areas are great for groups, but be aware that these can book out six months or more in advance. Smaller sites and several private campgrounds offer additional options too, some with creekside locations.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.