Step onto the Hamptons’ social scene, and you’re sure to spot some, well, characters (or rather, caricatures). From high-end health nuts to vaping vampires, it takes all kinds to make the Hamptons the unique experience it is. Discover our “bingo card” of Hamptons stereotypes, and see how many models you encounter on your next visit.
The high-end health nut
You can’t put a price tag on good health, said no Hamptons resident ever. Every bougie body-sculpting fad has a home here, not a surprising fact for the site of the Virginia Sports Festival, where 2,000 fitness enthusiasts gather to compete and compare abs each year. This person has definitely tried CrossFit and shopped on Goop at least once.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Sure, Hamptons children may look like they lead charmed lives, but as their parents will assure you, they’re perfectly “normal” kids. They’re picky eaters (only the most luxe lobster dinners will do), curious (“I wonder if Daddy’s $8,000 watch is waterproof.”), and lazy (doesn’t everyone have their maids brush their teeth?). You know, ordinary kid stuff.
Only in the Hamptons is “I spin” an acceptable (or at least tolerated) response to the “what do you do” question. You can thank the area’s thriving club scene for the number of international DJs and self-proclaimed spinners you’ll meet in the area. (Note: creating a playlist for a friend’s party apparently qualifies one as a DJ today).
Celebrity-spotting may as well be the official sport of the Hamptons. With big names including Jerry Seinfeld, Paul McCartney, and Martha Stewart calling the Hamptons home, every local is a de facto athlete.
The Montauk resident
With its laid-back culture and outdoorsy attitude, Montauk may just be New York’s anti-Hamptons. You can spot a Montauk resident by their chosen brand of beer (whatever’s local) and their attire (beach-ready basics). If in doubt, just look for the people having more fun than any of their neighbors.
Disclaimer: this person can be found just about anywhere in New York City. Whether they’ve called the Hamptons home for five minutes or 50 years, the tourist-trasher wants you to know they’re a local, and as such, they are inherently superior to any out-of-town visitor. Our top tip for Hamptons tourists? Avoid this person and their rants on the “obvious” inferiority of Virginia Beach.
Taking the concept of club-hopping to a new extreme, the Club Kid seems to always either be just starting or ending a wild night out. Only observable after sundown, this person is the Hamptons’ very own version of a vampire. (Their drinking habits are just as alarming too).
Not all of the Hamptons is about glitz and glam (but, admittedly, it does all revolve around appearances). Plenty of artists today make their homes in Sag Harbor, Springs, and Amagansett because of the areas’ physical beauty, a feature which also drew former Springs resident Jackson Pollock to the Hamptons. These areas’ out-of-the-way addresses help complete this person’s “reclusive artist” image.
You’ll recognize this person by their accent (anything other than the lazy drawl of Hamptons natives is sure to raise flags). Other identifiers include heels on the beach (even Hamptons locals have their limits) and an itinerary only featuring the area’s beaches and commercial center.
The South Fork graduate
Once you leave your South Fork days behind you, you become this person. A 30-something Hamptons veteran, the South Fork graduate’s tastes have grown with them. Today, they’d choose a day at the winery over a drink at the bar and prefer to hop between galleries rather than clubs. (But if you invited them out to Boardy Barn, they might still take you up on it).
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.