New York’s summertime playground, the Hamptons, are a destination for weekenders looking to chill out from the city’s daily grind and slip into relaxation mode. For those lucky enough to score a Hampton house, the summer is filled with some of the world’s most gorgeous beaches, old maritime charm, windmills galore, and fresh produce for those day-to-night barbecues. Fine dining, nightclubs, art and antiques offer more than beach vibes, making the Hamptons a culturally rich relaxation experience. As such, you’ll need to dress accordingly, catching the nuanced styles of each part of the island. To bring you a guide to dressing for the Hamptons, we partnered up with our friends at The Outnet, so let the island hopping begin.
The official season of white kicks off after Memorial Day, giving you a chance to showcase white hot looks. The key to wearing white is to keep your look minimalist, but do don a splash of color with your accessories. Don’t be afraid to go head-to-toe in white; that look is totally chic. Do make sure your white is so fresh and so clean. This look is perfect for a visit to Sag Harbor’s charming Whaling Museum, or a visit to Easthampton’s LongHouse Reserve, an al fresco museum that’s off the beaten path.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Going boho will work in Bridgehampton and Sag Harbor, not to mention Montauk, the end of the isle where you have to check out the working lighthouse. Dressing for the occasion, you can elevate the look beyond peasant tops and maxi dresses to conjure the subtly of prairie chic. What’s prairie chic, you ask? Think Laura Ingalls Wilder meets Carrie Bradshaw. This look is perfect for a trip to Gosman’s Dock in Montauk, a historic landmark with delicious bites.
For those who find wining and dining at posh restaurants, bars, and nightclubs the ultimate form of relaxation, there are plenty of options in the Hamptons. A day trip to the vineyards at the Wölffer Estate in Sagaponack. Your look should be polished but retain a summery edge that takes you from Main Beach to 75 Main. A chic sandal pulls the look together to get you a table at EMP Summer House and past the velvet ropes at AM Southampton.
For others, salt air inspires a sweat session on your Hamptons respite. Performance-enhancing workout gear that looks stylish is a must. From the tennis court to the yoga studio, to running barefoot along the beach, getting athletic in the Hamptons is a relaxing treat, whether you’re running to Crossfit in Southampton, the East End Tracy Anderson pop-up, or getting your Namaste on at Yoga Shanti in Sag Harbor.
Nothing caps off a day at Montauk’s Surf Lodge or Bay Beach better than a bonfire. One-pieces are all the rage this season, making your transition from day time adventures to nighttime misadventures easy peasy. Paired with a mini skirt, shorts, or wide-legged jeans, your swimsuit works well after you’ve toweled off. Keeping it casual but classy, this look is ideal for a nighttime walk on Sag Harbor’s Long Wharf, where you can get frozen cocktails and the best waffle cone in town.
Want to cover-up and stay cool at the same time? Sheer fabrics do the trick while making sure you stand out in a crowd. Whether chilling poolside at the Shelter Island House or running to town for some last minute provisions, a chic and sheer cover-up is a must for all your Hamptons adventures. Feeling too bare? A caftan-style cover-up has you, well, covered.
Time to Unwind
When the sun sets, and the grill is fired up, all you have to do is slip into something a little more comfortable and you’re ready to enjoy all the fruits of the island — be sure to visit the Amagansett Farmer’s Market, or the Country Garden on Millstone Road. Pair a bikini with a cover-up or jumpsuit and slide into cocktail hour without missing a beat. No matter where you are on the island, you’re in relaxation mode now.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.