New York’s “Silicon Alley” may grab most of the headlines, but there are a number of other parts of the city that have become homes to the best and budding technology companies in the Big Apple. The lower Manhattan neighborhood of Soho is perhaps best known for its shopping, but in recent years it’s also become a tech hub.
Soho, named for its location South of Houston Street, has had a varied history, and like many parts of Manhattan, has gone through several iterations before becoming the neighborhood it is today.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
During the Colonial period, the land which is now Soho was given to the freed slaves of the Dutch West India Company, which made it the first free black settlement in Manhattan. In the 1800s, the area became a key part of the city’s growing entertainment district, and housed theaters, large shops, and brothels.
In the mid-19th century the neighborhood’s architecture changed as a number of cast iron buildings were built. These structures would form the character of the neighborhood, making it stand out against the varied architecture of the city. After the American Civil War, a number of manufacturing companies moved into the area, particularly textiles firms, but following World War II many of the manufacturers moved south, which left a number of empty factories and warehouses.
The neighborhood declined over the next couple of decades, and in the 1960s falling prices attracted a community of artists to the area, who basked in the large empty lofts and manufacturing spaces. Now Soho boasts as many retail store chains as it does artists, and is filled with the kinds of amenities that attract startups and technology companies.
Several big name startups are based in Soho, including Warby Parker, the eyewear brand which combines its headquarters with a flagship store. Tech companies Foursquare and Contently also call Soho home, and the likes of Reddit have based their New York offices in the neighborhood.
Soho makes for an attractive tech home for a number of reasons, but chief among them is attracting talented employees. There is a fierce competition for the tech talent based in the city, which isn’t as plentiful as in competing technology hubs like Silicon Valley in California. Soho has multiple advantages in this regard, firstly because it is populated with high-end restaurants and hotels, making it an attractive place to work.
The neighborhood is also in a prime location in Manhattan. It’s well served by multiple subway lines, making for easy commutes from all over the island and Brooklyn and Queens, while it’s also strategically close to both the Financial District in the south and Midtown in the north.
For budding entrepreneurs looking to start their own companies, there are also plenty of co-working spaces. The Farm Soho, several WeWorks, Fueled Collective, and Impact Hub NYC are just a few of the options in the area.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.