These days coworking spots need to offer more than bottomless coffee and regular happy hours if they want to attract the city’s entrepreneurs and small businesses. In the Flatiron district, one crowd-funded space is setting the bar for balance.
Workplace wellness is a 43 billion dollar industry, according to the Global Wellness Institute, but The Assemblage—New York’s coworking space “designed around mind, body and spirit”—wasn’t launched purely to satisfy a niche. It was born of a spiritual experience.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Rodrigo Niño, a Colombian real estate crowdfunding expert with a vast portfolio of Manhattan projects, was in the midst of a cancer diagnosis. At 41 years old, he was coping with stage three Metastatic Melanoma, and after two surgeries the prognosis wasn’t good.
Niño packed his bags and traveled to Peru—he’d heard about the perspective-altering experience of Ayahuasca, and hoped it might help him grapple with mortality. During his first shaman-led ceremony, the idea of The Assemblage came to him in a way that felt fated.
“I had a hallucination which showed me a societal framework in which individuals contribute their interests and passions to improve society as a whole,” explains Niño. “This is the premise of The Assemblage: to bring together like-minded individuals to combine technology, consciousness, and capital.”
Since it opened in November 2017, the Assemblage has been facilitating personal growth that spans career, intellect and, of course, wellbeing. Members can dine on Ayurvedic breakfast and dinner, and order herbal elixirs (think fancy non-boozy cocktails made with adaptogens and super foods) from the Alchemy Bar. They can also take daily yoga, meditation and sound experiences, and participate in a full schedule of wellness events and workshops with speakers as well-known and sought after as Deepak Chopra.
Memberships range from $200 a month for after-hours access with events entrance, to $4000 per month for a team-sized private lounge.
The first thing that strikes you when you walk into The Assemblage is the floor to ceiling moss mural, full of celestial imagery and scared geometry. In fact, the outdoors features prominently; everywhere you look there are decorative nods to nature, from coffee tables made from sections of petrified wood, to rock-and-succulent centerpieces, and dried, painted shelf mushrooms affixed to walls. Glossy pot plants—2,530 of them including some more than 6 feet tall—are dotted throughout each floor, providing nature deprived New Yorkers with a bit of green therapy.
Intellectual and creative generosity is encouraged here, as are meaningful, sober interactions with the community. When it comes to creating authentic connections rather than hollow business-only ones, The Assemblage definitely has the edge over coworking spaces.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.