As a newbie to acupuncture I was really throwing myself in at the deep end with the facially focused version of the therapy, but compared to other treatments women undergo in the pursuit of beauty, facial acupuncture is actually non-invasive and pretty painless. Plus, thanks to its systemic approach to health, it has the potential to be far more effective than a trip to the dermatologist.
At Samantha Story’s West Village base, Take Care, the ambiance is a comforting combination of wave sounds and woody incense. In the low-lit treatment room, natural beauty products are arranged alongside delicate acupuncture needles and chunks of polished stone and crystal—the tools of her trade.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
“I like to think of it as integrative beauty—we’re taking everything into account,” Samantha says. “We’re looking at the root cause and what’s going on with the systems of the body. Even if it’s just dry skin and wanting more nourishing fluids—that doesn’t come just from the face, it comes from the body.”
With this in mind, my facial acupuncture session begins with an overall health assessment and the application of some purposefully placed needles elsewhere on the body. By the time Samantha has worked her way up to my face and scalp, I’ve grown used to the various zings and tingles that sometimes occur at insertion points. “The good thing is, any sensation you experience disappears within two breaths,” Samantha explains. Despite the fact that I’m not a fan of needles, acupuncture is a weirdly meditative experience.
Between deep, deliberate inhales and exhales, a cluster of whisker-thin needles are positioned around my eyes, my smile lines, my habitually clenched jaw, and my scalp—because facial muscles don’t just stop at the hairline. “I like to think of the face as a garden,” says Samantha. “You have to till the soil and get the fluids everywhere, or you’ll get cracks. If you’re not taking care of the garden it’s not gonna thrive.”
Besides helping to relax bound-up muscles and fascia, which in turn increases blood flow and lymphatic drainage, facial acupuncture works by causing tiny traumas to the skin. The body responds to the needles with fibroblasts—cells that release collagen to heal the wound, and in doing so rejuvenate the complexion.
Once the needles have been removed, Samantha applies a soothing balm and gently massages my face with a cool, smooth agate disk—another technique from Chinese medicine called gua sha. By gliding the stone over my tight jaw and the areas where fine wrinkles are beginning to set, circulation is increased and tightness caused by habitual expressions is reduced.
Samantha is a big proponent of facial massage like gua sha as a beauty practice. If regular yoga can keep your muscles long and supple into old age, it makes sense that a daily ritual of facial massage can be an effective technique for anti-aging. “There’s this saying in Chinese medicine—a moving hinge never rusts—and it’s the same thing with the body. Use it or lose it, you know?”
Find Samantha Story at Take Care, 41 Perry Street, New York, NY, USA, 10014 +1 (212) 677-2717
*Disclaimer: Facial acupuncture provided by Samantha Story. As always, all opinions expressed on Culture Trip are our own.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.