Nothing signals good health like clear, dewy skin. If you’re struggling with pimples, blocked pores or other skin-related issues, it may be time to make some adjustments to your diet and beauty routine. Here are some tips and tricks from the ancient art of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) to help you achieve the smooth, glowing complexion you’ve always wanted.
What causes bad skin?
TCM takes a holistic approach to health. To be healthy, one’s qi (vital energy) and blood must flow freely throughout the body and its organs, maintaining a balance of yin (cooling) and yang (heating) elements. Because all of the body’s functions are interdependent, bad skin can be caused by a number of different types of imbalances.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
One possibility is a malfunctioning metabolism, caused by the poor circulation of qi or blood. When your body fails to eliminate waste properly, those toxins will be expelled through your skin, causing acne.
Skin problems can also be a sign of inflammation arising from an excess of heat in the body. Excess heat in the lungs is a common culprit, as the lungs are responsible for providing the skin with blood and qi. If you have digestive problems, stomach heat could be the cause. Meanwhile, excess heat in the blood is accompanied by signs of inflammation throughout the body, such as rashes or sensations of heat.
The last cause of bad skin is “damp heat.” This occurs when dampness accumulates in the body and combines with heat, leading to symptoms such as oily skin, eczema and acne.
Dietary requirements for healthy skin
Nourish yin, eliminate yang
If you think you have too much heat in your body, eating yin (cooling) foods will help to calm and lubricate your skin. Try to include green and moisture-rich foods such as cucumbers, watermelon, lotus root, celery, lettuce, pears, lentils and squash in your diet.
Avoid alcohol, deep-fried foods, spicy foods, caffeine and dairy. These foods are too heating and will exacerbate inflammation.
On the other hand, if you think damp heat is adversely affecting your skin, try adding papaya, asparagus, turnips and adzuki beans to your diet to eliminate dampness. Avoid excessively cooling foods such as raw food, iced drinks, ice cream and dairy.
Key ingredients for a great complexion
Wolfberries: otherwise known as goji berries, are known to nourish yin and to promote the circulation of blood and qi. They are also packed with antioxidants that promote skin health and reduce the signs of aging. Wolfberries have a light, sweet taste and can easily be added to soups, porridge, meat and vegetable dishes. You can also add some dried or fresh wolfberries to a cup of tea.
Mung beans: This yin (cooling) legume detoxifies the body, clearing heat and replenishing qi. The easiest way to consume them is to make mung bean soup by simmering the beans for about 20 minutes. You’ll know it’s ready when the beans split open. In China, a refreshing bowl of refrigerated mung bean soup is popular during the hot summer months.
Red dates: also known as jujube, are yang (warming) in nature and touted for their anti-aging benefits. To strengthen your qi, add some dates to a simple congee, with a dash of brown sugar to taste.
Dandelion tea: This detoxifying drink has diuretic properties, flushing away toxins from the liver, kidneys and bladder that would otherwise cause acne. It also cleanses the blood and improves digestion. Dandelion is a yin herb, so it shouldn’t be taken by those with yang-deficient constitutions (people with cold hands and feet who tend to be sensitive to cold).
Other tips for gorgeous skin
Use a jade roller: This ancient skincare tool has been used by Chinese noblewomen for centuries. It promotes blood circulation in the face, ridding the body of bad qi and making your skin brighter and more elastic. To use it, move upward and outward from the center of your face, rolling across your cheeks and forehead. The best time to do this is right after your usual cleansing and moisturizing routine.
Take an herbal bath: Soaking yourself in warm water will relax the pores and let your skin “breathe,” allowing it to absorb the medicinal elements of a Chinese herbal bath. Popular skin-enhancing ingredients include dried lotus leaf, poria, wolfberries, aloe leaves and chrysanthemum. After grinding your chosen ingredients together, boil them in water for 20 minutes. Next, add it to a warm water bath, hop in, and soak for 30 to 45 minutes.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.