Jersey City may seem like a small city. However, with more than 260,000 residents, it’s one of the most densely populated in the state of New Jersey. And with its rich cultural diversity and how close it is to New York City, it has a character all its own. And that’s not limited to just the city but the neighborhoods throughout it.
Whether it’s the historical sites or great local food, each Jersey City neighborhood has a unique vibe. Learn more about these fun pockets throughout the area, and at the end, maybe you’ll discover the best cool Jersey City neighborhood for you.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Downtown Jersey City
Between the Grove Street Path Station and the Newark Avenue Pedestrian Mall, Downtown Jersey City has become the epicenter of Jersey City’s nightlife. This neighborhood quickly grew since it was easy for Jersey City locals to get to New York City and vice versa. But what solidified it as a cool Jersey City neighborhood is the variety of local businesses that sprung up in the past few years.
Whether it’s longstanding shops like Morlees or newer stores such as Mint Market, locals and visitors can do a good amount of shopping in the area. And, of course, there’s no shortage of places to eat and drink. Whether it’s the vegetarian-friendly Pet Shop, which has PS Wine Bar downstairs, or the BYOB Portuguese tapas place called Broa, visitors and locals can enjoy many culinary delights. And for anyone wanting to grab one more before the last call, they can stop by Dullboy or The Archer for a cocktail or Departed Soles for a craft beer.
Aside from being in the northern part of Jersey City, The Heights got its name from the fact that most of the neighborhood lies on the Palisades. The Jersey City neighborhood, which covers a large part of the city, has a large Spanish-speaking population and a number of Puerto Rican and Cuban restaurants, such as Rumba’s Cafe, in the area, especially along Central Avenue. Closer to Palisades Avenue, there are more trendy locations like local roaster Modcup and the veggie-friendly café, The Cliff. The Fox & Crow Pub and Parlour serves numerous craft beers, gourmet burgers and puts on concerts in the back practically on a weekly basis.
A post shared by The Heights JC (@theheightsjc) on May 25, 2017 at 4:36am PDT
While Jersey City is close to New York City, you can really only see it from a couple of places. Paulis Hook is one of those areas. Although some may see it as the typical manicured family-friendly area, the sights, as well as food and drink scene, make it a stellar Jersey City neighborhood. Anyone who lives in the area has a grand view of the Big Apple every morning. And if they take the path along the Hudson River, the walk or run will lead people to the historic Colgate Clock, one of Jersey City’s major fixtures.
Washington Street has a variety of restaurants and bars, notably the Light Horse Tavern. And if you feel like having more than bar food, grab a meal at Sky Thai. Mornings bring crowds to Sam A.M., a small breakfast and lunch restaurant. Just a little warning if you plan to go there on the weekends: waits can be as long as an hour or two. And yes, people do wait.
one of those days where nothing feels right and you can’t quite run anywhere so you’re outside on the roof top wearing shorts and t in 25 degree weather drinking an IPA at 12 in the afternoon 🍺😐
A post shared by @ thatshella on Jan 14, 2018 at 9:44am PST
Bergen-Lafayette was an area that many have tried to avoid for years, mainly because it wasn’t the safest of neighborhoods. However, as Downtown Jersey City became more crowded, more people started to move south and toward Bergen-Lafayette. And soon after, more small food spots began to pop up, making it a great place to get a good meal.
For example, stop by The Grind Shop for a steaming cup of coffee and delicious granola. The Oak on Pine offers Southern comfort food like crawfish mac and cheese, Nashville-style hot chicken, and shoestring fries made to order. Harry’s Daughter is an ideal place for a romantic meal or a quick nightcap. And there’s also a Pinwheel Garden Dumpling & Noodle Bar, which is an excellent place to get some tea and dumplings. And as this Jersey City neighborhood continues to develop, everyone is sure to see more.
What a row👌#rowhouses #brownstones #thisoldhouse #historichomes #belajc #bergenlafayettejc #bergenlafayette #chilltownjc #jerseycity #jerseycitynj
A post shared by BeLaJC (@belajerseycity) on Feb 15, 2018 at 3:53am PST
Journal Square was once the center of Jersey City. As it’s one of the largest stops for the PATH train, it was where many people traveled to in order to get to New York City, Newark, and Hoboken. It’s also home to many historical landmarks, including the famous Jackie Robinson statue as well as the grand Landmark Loew’s Theatre, which hosts film screenings and concerts.
A few blocks from the center of Journal Square, you can visit Little India for an authentic meal. Or you can walk up Newark in the opposite direction and grab some Filipino food at either Max’s or Red Ribbon Bakeshop. Although Journal Square may not be as fancy as other parts of the city, its longtime history makes it one great Jersey City neighborhood.
A post shared by Girishma Ch (@cgirishma) on Jan 15, 2018 at 3:18am PST
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.