Jersey City, New Jersey, located just 20 minutes outside of New York City, can easily be called the 6th borough. It’s a pleasant surprise to discover this intimate yet urban community. Nicknamed neighborhoods like ‘Little India‘ and ‘Little Manila’, this city has personality—and it’s ultimately a pleasant surprise to discover this intimate yet urban community. If you find yourself wanting to visit, here is a list of things to do that will sure have you coming back.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Brownstone Diner and Pancake Factory
If you are a breakfast lover then Brownstone Diner and Pancake Factory is not to be missed. Thirty-one kinds of pancakes served all day along with classic diner foods and some unexpected selections like the Tex Mex Egg Rolls are why this eatery is a resident favorite. Their Coconut Pancake is pretty popular as well. This family run restaurant has welcomed New Jersey State Governor Chis Christie and Senator Cory Booker. It has been featured on Food Network’s ‘Diners, Drive Ins and Dives’ segment, Big Breakfast back in 2008.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Liberty Science Center
This amazing science museum around Liberty State Park is a place the whole family can thoroughly enjoy and learn together. The hands on exhibits at Liberty Science Center allow for interactive learning and showcase spectacular 3D IMAX science films. There are event spaces for awesome birthday parties, or a camp day with the kids. Beyond Planet Earth: The Future of Space Exploration, Block Party, or Action Zone exhibitions are enriching showcases that expand the imagination. It’s quite normal to see hordes of school children here on any given day for a class trip.
Surf City Beach Bar and Restaurant
Located by the Liberty Harbor Marina, Surf City Beach Bar and Restaurant guarantees a good time, especially on a beautiful summer day or night with friends, family or that special someone. Menu favorites include seaside delights like the Corona Fish & Chips, Twin Lobster Rolls or the Spicy Habanero/Pineapple Coconut Shrimp. If dining around the main area isn’t your thing, hop on a boat with a few folks for a private party and more fun while enjoying fantastic views of the New York City skyline.
Newport Centre Mall
Newport Centre Mall remains a staple destination for shopping in Jersey City. Stores have come and gone, but new ones still entice the young and old. H&M and Forever 21 attract the trendy and Armani Exchange and G Star Raw draw in the ever-so cool 20-somethings and beyond with money to spend. Oh, and gamers will love GameStop. The AMC Theatre also has movie tickets cheaper that in New York City so movie goers can indulge in a movie or two.
Hudson Bergen Light Rail
Sightseeing is a favorite solitary pastime for many, and the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail is a great way to take in the beautiful Jersey City surroundings. Riding the light rail can be a calming way to clear the mine when preoccupied. It is a transportation option to get to neighboring cities instead of the bus or train. Serving multiple stations Northbound/Southbound between Hoboken and Tonnelle, the rail provides ample opportunities to flash photos of the serene city views.
Liberty State Park
The Statue of Liberty and the Manhattan skyline stand as backdrops to this perfect green space known as Liberty State Park. While there, a quick ride on the ferry will get you a closer look at the Statue of Liberty or a chance to further explore Ellis Island. Two hour kayak tours on the Hudson River as well as fitness, biking, hiking and nature trails will make you love the park even more.
This massive and sublime museum space features modern exhibitions of fine art, photography, dance and music. Mana Contemporaryis an industrial atmosphere that can definitely stimulate the creative senses and inspire DIY projects for the art novice. It also offers storage, crafting and framing services for artists and collectors alike. This gem continues to interest art lovers around the metropolitan area and can serve as large event space for occasions like fashion shows, private screenings or exhibitions for those who want to venture out of New York City.
Newport Yacht Club and Marina Pier
This breathtaking marina facing downtown Manhattan across the Hudson River offers a premium experience. Newport Yacht Club and Marina Pier docks yachts and boats and is home to the True North Sailing School where group and private lessons are offered. Sailing aficionados flock here not only for the striking views, but to be part of the open sea. Battello, a premiere Italian dining establishment sits on the edge and awaits anyone who wants to indulge in a romantic dinner or grab drinks with friends at happy hour while watching the summer sun set.
Hudson River Waterfront Walkway
The Hudson River Waterfront Walkway runs 18.5 miles through nine municipalities including Jersey City. It is ideal for a morning or evening jock. Rent a bike to cover most of the path or bring friends along for photo ops worthy of Instagram.
South House Bar and Restaurant
South House is the newbie on the block of restaurant choices on Newark Avenue and Grove Street. What makes it a standout is not only its Southern cuisine, but its 3 story interior decorated with Blues Hall of Famer Dick Waterman’s photos including Jimi Hendrix, the Doors, and Janis Joplin. Come for the food and definitely stay for the live music and ambience. South House had a soft opening a couple of weeks ago and is already creating a buzz. The Fried Chicken, Corn and Potato Salad special is delicious!
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.