The Eastern Shore of Maryland is a great place for a scenic summer getaway. Whether you want to go all the way to Ocean City or stay on the bay side, here are seven beautiful places to go camping.
For more options, discover our guide to the most scenic camping spots in Western Maryland. Still haven’t found your perfect East Coast camping spot? Read on, and book one of the best campsites in Virginia now, via Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Assateague State Park
Assateague and neighboring Chincoteague are islands known for beautiful ocean views and the wild ponies that live in the area. Assateague State Park makes up the northern part of Assateague Island and is run by the Maryland Department of Natural Resources, not to be confused with the National Seashore farther south on the island. The state park offers camping just a short walk from the beach, with hot showers and electricity at some sites. There’s also great places to bike and walk around the park. Reservations are recommended for camping during the summer months.
Assateague Island National Seashore
Assateague Island National Seashore is run by the National Park Service. The park offers camping on the Maryland side of the island, with campsites right on the beach that are both walk-in and drive-in. You must make a reservation during the summer, but during the winter the sites are first-come, first-served. Unlike the state park, there are only cold showers at the National Seashore. They also offer horseback riding and have trails for hiking.
Janes Island State Park
Just outside the town of Crisfield, Maryland, Janes Island State Park is a great place to view the Chesapeake Bay and the marshes of the Eastern Shore. The park is a paddler’s dream, with 30 miles (48 km) of marked water trails to explore by kayak or canoe. You can also go crabbing and fishing to catch your own Chesapeake bounty. The park has over 100 campsites, about half of which have electric hookups. Three centrally located restrooms have flush toilets and hot showers, and one has coin-operated laundry facilities. There are also cabins and rooms to rent in a lodge if glamping is more your style.
Pocomoke River State Park
Pocomoke River State Park is located inside the Pocomoke State Forest. Here, you’ll get an inland nature experience on the Eastern Shore. While inland, the river offers boating opportunities and the park’s marina has boat slips. The park has 175 campsites, some with electrical hookups, but also has cabins to rent. There are trails for hiking and biking, and a pool for the whole family to relax by.
Roaring Point Waterfront Campground
Another waterside camping spot is the privately-owned Roaring Point Waterfront Campground. The campsites are located under pine trees right by the Nanticoke River as it flows into the Chesapeake Bay. You can swim and enjoy the calm waters of the bay at the sandy beach or take a canoe out and explore the river. The campground offers kids’ activities, and is friendly to RV campers.
Tuckahoe State Park
Located in the central part of the Eastern Shore, outside of Queen Anne, Maryland, Tuckahoe State Park is the perfect place for a family getaway. The park has a tire playground, a challenge course and zipline, a disc-golf course, plus 20 miles (32 km) of trails for hiking, biking, and horseback riding. You can also rent canoes to paddle Lake Tuckahoe. The campground offers 54 sites, 33 of which have electrical hookups, hot showers and flush toilets.
Frontier Town Campground
For camping that’s a little less conventional, but still scenic and fun, check out the Frontier Town Campground. Located just south of Ocean City, Maryland, the resort offers camping and cabins on the inlet between Assateague Island and the mainland. If you like to paddle, the dock is the perfect spot to launch your kayak or canoe and explore the marshy areas. The campground also features a swimming pool, a water park, and adventure park.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.