Millennium Park houses some unmissable Chicago sights, from Anish Kapoor’s much-photographed Cloud Gate sculpture – known as the Bean – to cutting-edge cultural shows at Harris Theater. Here’s where to stay to best experience this destination, all bookable with Culture Trip.
Although it only opened in 2004, Millennium Park has quickly become a key part of Chicago life and the city’s landscape. It’s packed with culture and nature, including architect Frank Gehry’s wildly modernist Jay Pritzker Pavilion, and the lush Lurie Garden. This creativity is reflected in the wider area, and many hotels champion local artwork and culture. All provide everything you’ll need to explore the wider city of Chicago, with the rest of Grant Park and other Windy City essentials all within easy reach.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Mirroring some of the art deco splendor that characterizes its host venue – the landmark Carbide and Carbon building – it’s no exaggeration to say that the Pendry is an all-out visual feast. You’ll feel more sophisticated just for stepping inside, and you’ll keep feeling that way as you explore the rest of the hotel: the sparkling white rooms, the 24th-floor outdoor roof terrace with killer skyline views, the billiard gallery for light relief, the high-end French Brasserie, Venteux and the inviting Bar Pendry – where the staff mix a mean old fashioned.
It may be set in a former hat factory, but the Kimpton feels fresh and modern inside – though it still has cute nods to its past, like hat hooks in rooms. Another nice touch is the in-room spa menu, which lets you order treatments that take place in your room – top marks for convenience. Elsewhere, there are family-friendly suites available if you’re traveling with kids, who’ll also enjoy the countless child-friendly spots around Chicago, including Millennium Park’s many innovative play areas.
The main benefit of this smart hotel is its sweeping views of the Chicago River, yet you’re also just a few blocks from Millennium Park. Another couple of blocks takes you to the Art Institute of Chicago and other city wonders. When you’re not sightseeing, you’ll be able to stretch out in what the hotel claims are the largest standard guest rooms in Chicago. There’s also a fitness center and 1,600sqft (150sqm) of rooftop terrace for drinking in those cityscape views.
The towering modernist building that houses this luxury behemoth announces that there’s something special inside. The rooms are just as chic as the exterior – including some suites that you could happily live in – and there’s yet more to gawp at from the multiple restaurants and bars. LH Rooftop does what you’d expect, offering first-rate, sky-high views as you eat American-style tapas like chorizo empanadas and crab rangoon puffs – try to bag an al fresco table. For the full experience, finish your night with a French Martini at LH on 22.
On the very edge of Millennium Park, this striking Venetian gothic landmark was a members’ club for well over 100 years, but now is open to all. Some members’ club aesthetics remain in the dark wood paneling and throne-like armchairs, but it’s playful and cozy rather than stuck-up. Chic rooms pay tribute to the athletic theme, with cleverly adapted gym horse seating and boxing-style guest robes. And then there’s the award-winning, eight-seat micro-bar, Milk Room – a former genuine speakeasy from Prohibition times – serving cocktails with rare spirits. There’s also a gym, game room with foosball, billiards and shuffleboard, plus a whole separate suite dedicated to an interactive golf simulator.
If being minutes away from the Chicago River and Chicago Theatre isn’t enough, theWit is also directly next to an “L” train station, giving you super-convenient access to even more of the city. But there’s tons to keep you occupied and feeling special back at HQ: a spa, salon, library, and – the jewel on the crown – a 27th-floor rooftop bar with retractable roof, climate-controlled space and show-stopping skyline views.
Chic, urban and set in a particularly buzzing section of downtown Chicago just above Millennium Park, Hotel Julian is a dream for anyone wanting to be in the middle of the action. There’s a cool, boutique vibe to everything, from the lobby – covered in vintage photos and funky artwork – to the slick rooms, which all feature an espresso machine, with some boasting up-close city views. There’s also a well-stocked fitness center, completing the picture as the perfect retreat within the hubbub of downtown.
If the enviable Chicago River views put you in an aquatic mood, take a dip in the heated indoor pool – a bit of a rarity in downtown Chicago hotels, especially when it’s surrounded by natural light. The sweeping rooftop bar, Raised, is also a lot of fun – boasting great downtown scenes and speciality cocktails. The views inside the hotel aren’t too shabby, either, mixing edgy artwork with Chicago photography scattered across lobby pillars. If you want extra pizzazz, booking a King or Queen room gives you access to the swanky Club Lounge.
For more accommodation in the Windy City, check out the best places to stay for the smart traveler or treat yourself to a luxurious spa retreat, bookable now with Culture Trip. Pick one of the many hidden gems in the city or get out in the open with a food, art or cultural tour of Chicago, before filling up on burgers and hot dogs at an authentic American restaurant.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.