It’s a little-known fact that Hawaii is the only place in the United States that is allowed to farm coffee for the purpose of selling—and thankfully so.
Kona coffee is famous universally for its rarity and complexity. With high demands from the student population of the University of Hawaii, and the busy downtown work community, the coffee culture of Honolulu has grown quickly and beautifully.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
If you’re one of those Kona coffee purists and on the hunt for the old school blends, be sure make a stop at the Honolulu Coffee Experience Center. This is hands down the OG coffee shop of Honolulu. The family-owned business serves up Kona coffee from their very own farm on the Big Island. To add to the delectable experience, they’ve now opened up an international coffee museum on-site for visitors who want to experience more of the process.
It’s a long wait to get access to this hidden gem in the Manoa valley, but some will say it’s well worth it. After an early morning spent hiking to a waterfall, the unique scone flavors and mac and cheese pancakes are sure to satiate anyone’s appetite. They are famous in the local community for their mocha lattes and offer a variety of breakfast and brunch options. To add to the charm of this local spot, the outdoor seating of the cafe promotes a pet friendly environment.
What started off as a mere coffee truck has now quickly blossomed into three brick and mortar locations around the city. And though the dine-in experience is a bit different from what we’re used to, the quality coming out of this local business still holds strong. Also a local and family-run operation, The Curb is serving the demands of the University of Hawaii student community as well as the general Honolulu population. Come here for the coffee. Stay for the bowties.
You don’t even need to step inside the cafe to smell the aromatic coffee beans being ground. It’s a small, yet cozy space that attracts a very loyal customer base. It’s testament to the quality of their ingredients and their impeccable customer service. Located just downstairs of the landmark Pioneer Plaza building, Downtown Coffee is not a huge operation like the similar establishments nearby. Boasting local blends like Maui Mokka, the people at Downtown Coffee know what they’re doing, right down to their latte art.
If nothing else, come for the Green Eggs and Ham. That’s right. This ambient and bright cafe offers the world famous dish of childhood fiction. The service is fantastic and the free wifi is an added bonus, inviting visitors to spend a morning lounging about with al fresco dining options. With an extensive menu, including options for Hawaiian roasts as well as a number of vegetarian choices, the Morning Brew Coffee & Bistro will leave you wanting to linger.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.