Fancy yourself an expert of the Aloha State? Check yourself with these 11 things you should do to prove your expert status of Hawaii.
The Road to Hana is Hawaii’s one road trip that shouldn’t be missed. Circling the windward side of Maui, you get a taste of old Hawaii, away from the island’s built-up west coast brimming with shopping centers and resorts. With amazing waterfalls, sparkling ocean and lush forests, you’ll want to spend the night at an ecolodge or guesthouse in Hana for a real immersion.
Visit a farmer’s market
As an area with many tropical fruits and indigenous vegetables, it’s no wonder Hawaii has so many amazing farmer’s markets. Whether they’re by the roadside stand, next to a gas station or set up in stalls in town, the farmer’s market is the place to pick up the freshest pineapples, birds-of-prey flowers, lychee, mangoes, starfruit, papaya, passion fruit, and bananas.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Waikiki is synonymous with surfing, and there are plenty of surfboard stands that will teach you how to manage yourself in the waves. Most surf companies promise at least one standing ride in the course of a lesson. With this beach’s small waves, it’s a perfect place to test out your sea legs.
Take a tour of a Kona coffee farm
Visit a local coffee estate and learn all about the harvesting and roasting process of these famous beans. Indulge in a cup of coffee that’s unique to the islands and find out why Kona coffee is an all-time favorite around the world. If you’re visiting in November, swing by the annual 10-day Kona Coffee Cultural Festival on the Big Island for cupping contests and tastings.
Feast at a luau
Hotels and cultural centers all over the islands frequently host luau, traditional gatherings of food and entertainment. This old-fashioned “dinner with a show” usually includes singing, dancing and occasionally fire-breathing. Food is typical Hawaiian: poi, kalua pig, chicken long rice, laulau, lomilomi salmon, haupia, and poké.
Get a lomilomi massage
Hawaii has its own special massage tradition, called lomilomi. Practiced since ancient times, it tends to be more invigorating than a calm Swedish massage, with or without essential oils and lotions. You can easily book one at any hotel or stop by a licensed massage practice.
Snorkel in a reef
Hawaii is home to fabulous snorkeling, with white sand beaches, teeming tidepools and reefs just a stone throw’s away from the shore. Depending on where you go, look out for turtles, sea urchins, sea cucumbers, and schools of colorful fish.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.