Savannah parks are full of rich history, lush gardens, and shade from the Southern heat. Come relax in these beautiful areas scattered throughout the city.
Wormsloe State Historic Site
Where else can you see three centuries of history within a single walking tour? Colonial Wormsloe offers this unique characteristic that makes it stand out from most Savannah museums. The site is located among giant whimsical live oaks and Spanish moss in the outskirts of Southside Savannah. Stroll around this timeless environment while you see old tabby ruins from Wormsloe village — the oldest standing structure in Savannah. Tabby is a building material made of lime, seashells, and sand used from the 1500s to the 1800s in the southeast. Visitors can take a tour of the museum where artifacts from Wormsloe are preserved, or talk to on-site interpreters. Wormsloe offers a beautiful and rich history that is fun for all ages.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Opening Hours: Tues-Sun 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Wormsloe Historic Site, 7601 Skidaway Rd. Savannah, GA, USA +1 800 864 7275
Forsyth Park is one of Savannah’s largest inner city parks, covering 30 acres in the heart of the city. Visitors and locals love to relax and socialize at Forsyth. The park has been a Savannah treasure for the public since the 1840s. There is plenty to do, such as touring the Farmers’ Market every Sunday, attending concerts, sunbathing, playing some soccer, or having a picnic with friends. Savannah also has a open cup drinking policy, so this is a great place to share a bottle of wine with friends. Forsyth is also conveniently located next to some of the best dining and bed & breakfasts in town. Wind down under the Forsyth Park sun in between a busy day of tours and events.
Forsyth Park, Drayton St. and East Park Ave. Savannah, GA, USA +1 912 651 6610
Located near the Gallery Espresso, Roots Up Gallery, and other popular spots in the heart of the River District, Chippewa Square is the perfect spot to sit under the shady live oaks while touring Savannah. Chippewa Square is one of the most visited squares in Savannah due to its role in the movie Forest Gump. Tom Hanks sat at the Chippewa Square bus stop as Forest Gump during the duration of the movie. Now the same area is marked with a sign that notifies visitors of where the bench once resided. At the center of the square is a bronze statue of Georgia founder General James Oglethorpe, which has been peacefully resting in Chippewa Square since 1910.
Chippewa Square, between Bull, W Perry, and Hull St. Savannah, GA, USA
Skidaway Island State Park
Immerse yourself in the natural beauty of Georgia’s maritime forests, salt marshlands, and intra-coastal waterways. Less than 30 minutes from Southside Savannah, Skidaway offers pristine views, trails, and camping within these unspoiled ecosystems. Watch out for a variety of wildlife from deer, fiddler crabs, reptiles, egrets, and migrating bird species. There is also an interpretive center and observation tower on the island. With over 80 campsites and 588 acres, there is room for everyone to enjoy the spectacular scenery at Skidaway Island Park.
Bonaventure is the largest public cemetery at nearly 100 acres. Similar to Laurel Grove cemetery, it was once plantation land before becoming a publicly used burial ground. The cemetery is a great place to take a walking tour amidst the lush surroundings. The greens of the gardens and forest contrast beautifully with the white and gray tombstones and sculptures. Some famous burial sites include Georgia’s first governor Edward Telfair, poet Conrad Aiken, and lyricist Johnny Mercer. Step back into time with a visit to Bonaventure’s grounds.
Bonaventure Cemetery, 330 Bonaventure Road, Savannah, GA, USA
Daffin is a diverse park that offers activities for everyone. There is a large dog park, a 1.5 mile paved track, grill areas, a soccer field, tennis courts, a swimming pool, a lake, a playground, and Grayson Stadium. Grayson Stadium is home to Savannah’s minor league baseball team, the Sand Gnats. If you’re lucky, on Saturday nights fireworks are sometimes set off after a Sand Gnats game. Whether you’re taking a walk or interested in a recreational activity, Daffin Park has it all.
Grayson Stadium, 1401 E Victory Dr. Savannah, GA, USA
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.