San Francisco’s sourdough bread dates back to the Gold Rush when French migrants discovered that the natural yeasts and bacteria in the air could be used for fermentation of the dough. Today, San Francisco is regarded as the country’s best place to find delicious bread, with lots of talented bakers. With so many to choose from it’s difficult to decide where to go, so check out our selection of must-try bakeries around the city.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Regarded as one of the best bakeries in the San Francisco area, Tartine is one that cannot be missed. Opening in 2002, Tartine, by pastry chef Elisabeth Prueitt and baker Chad Robertson, Tartine has established itself as one of the best bakeries in the city as well as one of the best breakfast spots. Using a wood fired brick oven, their breads hold an elegant flavor, which is evident in not only the chewy, moist center but also the crispy crust. Fresh out of the oven everyday at 4:30pm, it is definitely worth it to wait in the long line that fills their store, or pre-order three days ahead, and try their sourdough, the Country Levain.
Opened in 1849 by Isidore Boudin, Boudin bakery is known as the oldest running company and the creator of the sourdough French bread in San Francisco. Boudin has mastered the art of sourdough bread with texture and taste. Their bread not only comes in the classic round shape but sculpted bread can also be purchased, with various shapes for the holidays. Head down to Fisherman’s Wharf, grab some sourdough bread, watch the bakers at work during the bakery tour and learn about the history of bread in San Francisco in their museum.
Josey’s Baker Bread At The Mill
Started by Josey Baker (yes, that’s his real name) in 2010, Josey Baker Bread has taken over the bread world and become a local favorite. Beginning in his apartment, Josey has expanded to The Mill, which sells bread and coffee, and continues to use the same sourdough starter he got from his friend’s grandmother when he first started. Their Country Boule bread is a combination of sourdough culture, whole wheat and bread flour and sea salt, which is baked to perfection, with a deep, rich sourdough flavor. The bread is sold freshly everyday at 8am at The Mill.
Noe Valley Bakery
The Organic San Francisco Sourdough found at Noe Valley Bakery introduces the new and improved white sourdough loaf. Their small sourdough loaves resemble that of a baguette in both their look, with a thin shape, and texture, with a very crispy crust and a soft chewy inside. Without the wheat flavor, which is found in most sourdoughs, the strong sourdough flavor is apparent with each bite. Stop by to grab a loaf of their sourdough, baked fresh daily, and try out their other tasty sweet treats.
Acme Bread Company
Opened in 1983, Acme Bread Company continues to make some of the best bread in the city. Acme is a wholesale bakery that sells to restaurants all over the Bay Area, including Chez Panisse, as well as to a select number of grocery stores and retail locations. However, they have two small stores in the Bay Area, one in Berkeley and the other in San Francisco’s Ferry Building, just for selling loaves of their bread. Their sourdoughs come in many forms, baguettes, batards as well as rounds, and are flavorful with a thick crispy crust.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.