Winter or summer, Lake Tahoe is an outdoor lover’s paradise par excellence. The crystalline waters of one of the largest and cleanest freshwater lakes in the world attract boaters, bathers and beach bums during the warm season. During the cold months, the snow-capped mountains of the high Sierra Nevada that surround it are considered some of the best white powder runs on the continent. For solo visitors, Tahoe is a natural playground of epic proportions – just begging to be explored.
What’s the vibe?
Solo travelers won’t be alone for long when visiting Lake Tahoe, as the area attracts more than three million visitors a year and can be packed to bursting in its prime seasons. After all, this is a hotspot for weekenders from the San Francisco Bay Area, just four hours away, as well as a solid favorite among international tourists. Result: Tahoe has a particularly cosmopolitan vibe, with plenty of granola and kombucha thrown into the mix.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
An outdoor sports playground, Tahoe attracts people looking for a mountain high in various forms: you’ll be with adventurous types looking to enjoy the natural attractions of one of the most gorgeous places on earth. One thing’s certain: you’re going to make friends quickly.
Where to stay in Lake Tahoe as a solo traveler
A handful of towns circle the lake, each home to different attractions. South Lake Tahoe is the largest and most tourist-oriented. This is where solo travelers will find the widest range of accommodation, as well as the largest casinos, as South Lake Tahoe straddles the state line between California and Nevada.
Tahoe City has a more hippy-leaning groove going on, with plenty of places to stay as well as healthy food and sporting opportunities. Incline Village is a bit more upscale, with massive hotel-casinos doing all-inclusive experiences and proximity to popular beaches such as Kings Beach and Crystal Bay. While not directly on the lake, the nearby town of Truckee (15 minutes from Incline Village) is a budget option, with its historic Gold Rush-style downtown. For more inspiration, read The Best Luxury Hotels to Book in Lake Tahoe, USA, The Best Cabins and Holiday Rentals to Book in Lake Tahoe and The Best Hotels to Book in Lake Tahoe, California.
What to do in Lake Tahoe
The area is one of the most famous ski destinations on the planet, with large resorts – among them Heavenly Valley and Sugar Bowl – attracting both families and solo skiers in droves. For snowboarders, options abound as well, with many considering Northstar the best terrain in the area. Lessons are available at all resorts.
Along with soaking up the sun against the dramatic alpine background, boating is the top summertime activity in Lake Tahoe, with waterskiing, wakeboarding, jet-skiing and paddle-boarding all immensely popular as well. Solo travelers can rent equipment in most larger lakefront towns. Hiking in the nearby Tahoe National Wilderness is also high on the list.
Fancy stopping the world and getting off? Join Culture Trip on its four-day meditation retreat Feed Your Mind, Body and Soul in Lake Tahoe.
Gambling draws visitors to Lake Tahoe year-round. Harvey’s is the largest of the casinos, with more than 1,000 slot machines, just a tad more than its competitor, Harrah’s. The newly refurbished Hard Rock Casino has gambling as well as some of the best entertainment in Tahoe. Just an hour away, the city of Reno is a miniature Las Vegas packed with large casinos and nonstop gaming.
What to eat and drink in Lake Tahoe
There’s a broad spectrum of culinary options in the Lake Tahoe area. Resorts tend to focus on fine dining – steakhouses and European classics with tables overlooking the water. But solo travelers on a budget will also rejoice at the sheer quantity and quality of comfort food, aimed at folk hungry after a day on the slopes or out on the water. Mexican food is also pretty easy to find in Lake Tahoe – after all, this is California.
Living it up after an active day is a popular activity in the Tahoe area – since it’s on the Nevada state line, there’s a 24-hour party scene. For solo travelers, there are breweries and traditional pubs in South Lake Tahoe, round-the-clock bars and lounges in most casinos and a nightlife district in Crystal Bay, where some of the most historic Tahoe casinos are to be found. Tahoe City has a nice local-feeling nightlife scene, with friendly bars clustered together in its center, several with small dance floors.
Stay safe, stay happy
Take care when immersed in the water – Tahoe is a particularly cold and deep lake, and swimmers can lose consciousness.
Getting around Lake Tahoe as a solo traveler
The Lake Tahoe area is definitely car-oriented, with attractions and towns circling the lake in a way that makes cars almost absolutely necessary to explore and enjoy the area. That being said, there are some fun and interesting ways to explore Tahoe that allow you to leave your car behind for the day.
The Emerald Bay Trolley runs two sightseeing routes around the lake, each one stopping at many different attractions. There are also several Mississippi-style paddleboat cruises that operate out of Zephyr Cove by day and after dark. During the summer months, there are also some limited water taxis that run between points including Timber Cove and Camp Richardson.
Fancy journeying with like-minded travelers? Join Culture Trip’s four-day meditation retreat Feed Your Mind, Body and Soul in Lake Tahoe as part of a small group, and enjoy yoga, star-gazing and lots of s’mores against a sparkling blue backdrop.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.