Home to over 5,000 farms, San Diego‘s markets abound with local fruits and veggies.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
With its Mediterranean-like climate, San Diego is an ideal spot for agriculture. It currently reigns as the avocado capital of the U.S., and its farmers’ markets are replete with fresh ‘cados, alongside other local products ranging from strawberries to cut flowers and honey. Here are six markets worth a visit.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Little Italy Mercato
Running five blocks down Date street, shoppers at the Little Italy Mercato farmers’ market are rewarded with an ocean view in the background. Lined with over 200 tents, the market takes place every Saturday (rain or shine) from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Alongside local produce, there are fresh eggs, prepared food options, artisan goods, and flowers.
Hillcrest Farmers’ Market
Touting the slogan “Fresh & Fabulous, just like Hillcrest”, the Hillcrest Farmers Market is held at the DMV parking lot every Sunday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. There are about 175 vendors each week selling the typical array of local products, flowers, and arts and crafts. The market is also known for their international “food court,” which features prepared dishes from cuisines around the world, including Brazilian cheese bread, Korean BBQ, and East African bites.
State Street Farmers Market
Ideal for midweek produce shopping, the State Street Farmers Market sets up shop in Carlsbad Village every Wednesday afternoon. Slightly smaller than some of the other markets, State Street is currently at capacity, with just over 50 vendors. Each spring they host a “Shop with the Chef” event where customers receive a tour of the market, followed by a multi-course meal at a nearby restaurant that’s cooked entirely with fresh ingredients from the market.
Poway Farmers Market
Farther inland, the city of Poway hosts a market with 65 vendors every Saturday from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Old Poway Park area. After visiting the market, customers can take advantage of exploring Old Poway Park, which has numerous historical buildings. It also contains vintage trains that passengers can ride on, including the only operational steam locomotive open to the public in San Diego County, the No. 3 Baldwin Steam Locomotive.
Leucadia Farmers Market
Held at Paul Ecke Elementary School in Encinitas, the Leucadia Farmers Market has been a neighborhood staple since 2005. It’s open on Sunday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and all proceeds go to support the school’s PTA and the Leucadia Main Street Association. The 75 vendors include flower and plant sellers, a certified organic section, and specialty items like beef, seafood, and baked goods. For anyone whose knives are getting dull from chopping up all of those farmers’ markets’ fresh veggies, there is a booth that offers knife sharpening once a month.
Vista Farmers Market
The oldest market in San Diego County, the Vista Farmers Market has been selling fresh produce since 1981. It’s open on Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. All 53 of their farmers are certified local and organic, while over 30 prepared food artisans sell everything from freshly baked bread to tamales and juices.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.