Given the size and breadth of LA, winning best neighborhood is no easy task, but Silver Lake managed to take the prize. A small community centered around the Silver Lake reservoir, Silver Lake has won an armada of accolades through its winning combination of beautiful housing and active street life. Voted the Best Hipster neighborhood in America by Forbes, it can be hard to choose one activity above the rest, but here are six that will prove why Silver Lake’s popularity hasn’t waned.
Los Globos isn’t for everyone. It’s wild, cramped and sweaty – which is exactly what some people love about it. With a history ranging from salsa bar to rave, Los Globos is an icon of nightlife and hard partying. Featuring punk and electronic musicians, this is a must-visit environment for any late-night dancers and partiers who want to party all night.
Los Globos, 3040 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA, +1 323 666 6669
Silver Lake’s Picture Show
The only thing better than taking in a summer flick is taking it outdoors. In its fourth year, Silver Lake’s Picture Show is the perfect way to enjoy a warm, relaxing night. Running from June to September, the films screened at Sunset Triangle Plaza range from family to cult classics. Seating fills up fast at every screening, so grab a cooler, get there early and enjoy a movie in the LA air!
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
If a traveler is looking to have a drink in a great atmosphere in Silver Lake, nothing beats 4100 Bar. Poised at the edge of Silver Lake, 4100 Bar is the most popular watering hole in the area. It might be the dim lighting, the Buddha statue or the silk canopies, but something about the 4100 Bar makes it the perfect hang-out. It isn’t as loud or as flashy as some of the other places in Silver Lake, but it’s the best for getting together with friends and enjoying trendy tunes and cheap drinks.
4100 Bar, 4100 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, +1 323 666 4460
Red Lion Tavern
Modeled after a German pub, the Red Lion Tavern is top to bottom an old world tavern. Strewn with German banners and an impressive array of German beers on tap, it’s the closest thing to a European pub stateside. It’s also known for beers strong enough to floor even seasoned drinkers, and breakfasts good enough to fix them up the next morning. Red Lion Tavern has no tricks or glitz or glamor – just good drinks, good food and a good atmosphere.
Red Lion Tavern, 2366 Glendale Blvd, Los Angeles, +1 323 662 5337
By Nicholas Armstrong
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.