These Los Angeles landmark buildings, known for their distinctive architectural styles, may inspire your next handbag, which you can shop below from Net-a-Porter.
From Spanish-Colonial Revival to Hollywood Regency, Los Angeles architecture boasts a variety of styles that serve as inspiration to the city’s inhabitants and admirers. When choosing your next handbag, why rely on the catwalk’s latest trends? Capture an Angeleno aesthetic, using these 10 landmark buildings to guide you.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The TCL Chinese Theatre IMAX AKA Grauman’s Chinese Theatre
Located on the historic Hollywood Walk of Fame, the TCL Chinese Theatre IMAX, AKA Grauman’s Chinese Theatre, is one of Hollywood’s pre-eminent locales for film premieres. If its lavish gilded interior speaks to your design aesthetic, you might like Marc Jacobs’s Sport metallic textured-leather belt bag.
A totem of Los Angeles, featured in such films as Rebel Without a Cause and La La Land, the Griffith Observatory offers views of Griffith Park, the Hollywood sign, the Los Angeles Basin and the Pacific Ocean. If the celestially inspired Greek and Beaux-Arts influences of the Observatory speak to you, you might like the classic half-moon design of Marni’s Monile small leather shoulder bag.
The Getty Villa
Overlooking the Malibu coastline in the posh Pacific Palisades neighborhood, the Getty Villa houses ancient Greek, Roman and Etruscan art and artifacts. If your taste veers towards the classically demure aesthetic of the Getty Villa, you might appreciate the braided jewelry-inspired hoops on the front flap of See By Chloé’s Monroe bag.
A concave amphitheater at the base of the Hollywood Hills, the Hollywood Bowl hosts hundreds of musical events each year and is the home of the Los Angeles Philharmonic. Frank Gehry and Frank Lloyd Wright both contributed design elements to the theater’s acoustic shells, making the Hollywood Bowl a landmark concert arena. If the open-air amphitheater suits your style aesthetic, you might appreciate the open top of Trademark’s Goodall leather bucket bag.
The Eames House
A National Historic Landmark, the Eames House, nestled in the lush woodlands of the Pacific Palisades neighborhood, remains a cultural mainstay of American modern architecture and is maintained by the Eames Foundation. If you fancy the raised steel-and-glass box facade of this modernist landmark, you might take a risk on Gucci’s Trapuntata metallic quilted leather shoulder bag.
Queen Anne Cottage at the Los Angeles County Arboretum and Botanic Garden
A California Historical Landmark, the Queen Anne Cottage at the Los Angeles County Arboretum and Botanic Garden is a quaint 19th-century treasure. The Queen Anne style of architecture distinguishes the cottage, which houses its own bell tower, while the gardens embody a Victorian landscape design. If you want to add a rural flair to your wardrobe, JW Anderson’s Bike lace-up, with its shearling front flap, might be your next bag.
Old Hollywood glamour on the Sunset Strip is synonymous with the Chateau Marmont, where you can sip a cocktail and hobnob with the latest starlets. Modeled after Château d’Amboise in France’s Loire Valley, this Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument enforces a strict dress code. If the Chateau’s Francophile appeal captures your style aspirations, you might like the chic simplicity of Commes des Garçons’s embossed glossed-leather pouch.
Pacific Design Center
The Red Building is the latest addition to the Pacific Design Center on Melrose Place in West Hollywood, completing a 40-year architectural project by renowned designers Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects. If statement-making innovation shapes your style aesthetic, you might like the cherry leather version of Valentino’s The Rockstud No Limit textured-leather shoulder bag.
Frank Lloyd Wright designed the Hollyhock House as a private residence for an oil heiress in the early 20th century, though today it stands as the main attraction of Barnsdall Art Park in East Hollywood. If you favor Mayan Revival design elements, including leaded art-glass windows and a moat that surrounds the house, you might like the updated heritage style of Isabel Marant’s Kleny embellished leather and suede shoulder bag.
The Los Angeles County Museum of Art
Adjacent to La Brea Tar Pits on Miracle Mile, the Los Angeles County Museum of Art is the largest art museum in the American West. An encompassing space that’s made up of several buildings, the museum is one of the city’s hottest attractions. If this museum’s organized chaos appeals to your aesthetic, you might like the highly structured, multi-compartment Balenciaga leather-trimmed logo-print canvas tote.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.