Thanksgiving is a day of family, food and traditions, but people get up to stranger things on the holiday then you might imagine! Here are the craziest Thanksgiving traditions ever.
Did you know you can now travel with Culture Trip? Check out our US trips, or browse our collections of Epic Trips, Mini Trips and Sailing Trips to join one of our premium small-group adventures and discover the world like never before.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
National Thanksgiving Turkey Presentation
Since the 1940’s and officially since 1989, US Presidents have been ‘pardoning’ a turkey prior to Thanksgiving. In a televised ceremony, the President is presented with a live domestic turkey which he ‘pardons’. The turkey is then sent to live out its days at Mount Vernon, the former estate of President George Washington as opposed to ending up as someone’s dinner.
Forget bowling balls and bowl with a frozen turkey this Thanksgiving using soda or water bottles as makeshift pins. This hilarious tradition started in 1988 at Lucky’s grocery shop in Newport Beach, where the bowling took place in the alleys of the store.
When turkey isn’t enough, try a turducken! A deboned chicken is stuffed into a deboned duck which is then stuffed into a deboned turkey. Whoa.
Sub turkey for crab
Or, go completely ham like they do in San Francisco and substitute your Thanksgiving bird with crab! Thanksgiving normally marks the beginning of Dungeness crab season so there is no better way to celebrate than a seafood Thanksgiving feast.
North Tech pie-throwing
At the North Technical High School in Florissant, Missouri, Thanksgiving marks an annual pie-throwing event where students get to launch pies at the faculty and administration. This seems like something the world could get into.
The Turkey Trot
These popular events generally held before Thanksgiving involve getting dressed up as a turkey and doing a 3- to 5-mile run, normally for charity. A great way to shed some excess calories pre-feasting, think of it like a Thanksgiving-themed mini marathon.
A few brave folks get together before Thanksgiving to stretch their stomachs at various turkey-eating competitions across the US. Normally, the event will involve eating as much of possibly can of a 20-pound turkey in a limited amount of time. Joey Chestnut currently holds the title, managing to gobble down 9lbs (4kg) in just 10 minutes!
In Indianapolis, Indiana, some high school athletes started a tradition of dressing turkeys (not live ones, don’t worry) in baby onesies, lighting them on fire and throwing them across a football field to see who’s turkey could fly further. Shocker, they are still doing it.
The day that shopping is at its most competitive. Just why?
Walking to make room for food
Many families eat so much on Thanksgiving that they go for a walk between after dinner to make room for dessert. This takes the popular phrase, “I work out so I can eat” to a whole new excessive level.
Pretending the holiday is American
Lastly, sorry to burst your bubble, but Thanksgiving, the quintessential American holiday, is not actually American. It was first celebrated in Canada 40 years before we started in the States. Epic fail.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.