America’s historic election has come to a close and so too has the fear been realized of a Donald Trump presidency. With his off-color remarks, alienating immigration policy and tendency to make up facts as he goes (ahem, the National Inquirer is not a reliable source); it’s no wonder that some Americans are planning their escape.
The dystopian America that Trump promises is comical at best and terrifying at worst. In short, our country may morph into a veritable homage to the Trump brand (I imagine Trump Steaks will become the meat of choice under The Donald’s rule). While I am keeping my Colombian citizenship close, other Americans are keeping a trained eye on Canada. Culture Trip has pulled together a list of remote destinations to move to now that Trump is the president elect.
Assuming you can’t charter a shuttle to outer space, your next best option would be to get as far away as possible to New Zealand. With low cost healthcare, less expensive living and scenic scenes to boot, New Zealand is a great destination to escape to should Trump ascend to the White House. The country’s tourism board has created a dedicated webpage for Americans looking to relocate to their country. The website offers seamless instructions on getting your visa and other practicalities of moving there quickly.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Leaving Trump’s America may have its toss ups. On one hand, you can sidestep his boisterous State of the Union; on the other you may have to fight off a polar bear or two if moving to Svalbard. The obscure destination of Svalbard can be found tucked away in Norway. Svalbard is the easiest country on earth to relocate to since no visa or residence permit is required, just proof of financial support. While the weather (and polar bears) that Svalbard promises might be difficult, so is four years of President Trump.
According to a report conducted by Market Watch, “It is estimated that about 5,000 to 10,000 American expatriates now live in Ecuador, and affordability is one reason why.” Ecuador attracts countless tourists a year with the charm of Quito’s Old Town, the beauty of its cloud forest and the nature of the Galapagos. Should Trump win Tuesday’s election, Ecuador is a great alternative.
Expats in Singapore are loving life – according to an HSBC study. The data shows that Singapore is considered the best place to live and work as an expat, who enjoy increased earnings (32%) and feel safer than they did in their home country (84%). Singapore and neighboring Hong Kong prove the top destinations for expats, in terms of financial improvement and overall life satisfication. If the election swings red on November 8, the siren call of the Singapore lifestyle might beckon.
Cape Breton, Canada
Watch out, Canada. Come November 8, you may see a wave of Americans running for your border. Canada is the promised land – a country where there are no guns and free healthcare. Sure, it may have it’s faults (no Netflix, limited job opportunities at the moment and no Target stores) but then again, so does the United States. Cape Breton, an island off the East Coast of Canada that continually ranks as a top travel destination, is welcoming Donald Trump runaways with open arms, as evidenced on its website. Summers are 80 degrees and balmy, while winters are – as expected – frigid. In terms of affordability, Cape Breton’s tourism site sums it up perfectly: “How much would it cost for a three bedroom lakeside home in your state? About a jillion dollars? You would need to BE Donald Trump to afford a place like that. But in Cape Breton, we have the most affordable housing market in North America!”
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.