Nature rules on the Ecuadorian archipelago of the Galapagos, located 1,000km (621mi) from the mainland in the Pacific Ocean – it’s widely regarded as one of the best places wildlife-spotting destinations in the world. Snorkel alongside sea lions, spy frigatebirds swooping past the rocky cliffs and witness giant tortoises plodding through the ancient forests. Follow in Charles Darwin’s footsteps with these top things to do in the Galapagos Islands.
Want to see the best of the Galapagos without the hassle of planning? Join our expertly curated five-day trip to the archipelago.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Go kayaking along the Itabaca Channel
Grab a paddle and hit the water on a guided kayaking tour along the Itabaca Channel, which divides Baltra from Santa Cruz Island. Flanked by mangrove forests and lava rock cliffs, this tranquil waterway is home to sea lions, blue-footed boobies, brown pelicans, herons and more. Watch out for white-tipped reef sharks that also inhabit these waters – you can also choose to hire a stand-up paddleboard for the ultimate adventure.
Explore the uninhabited islands just off Santa Cruz Island
The best way to explore the Galapagos islands is by boat. Set sail for North Seymour, a volcanic isle primed for budding ornithologists. Spot great and magnificent frigatebirds, plus marvel at the mating dance of the blue-footed boobies. To the south, Sante Fe is one of the oldest islands in the archipelago. Here, you’ll see iguanas catching shade underneath the Opuntia Echios – a large unusually-shaped cactus. Alternatively, head to Sullivan Bay to explore the 150-year-old lunar landscape, formed from bubbling lava.
Hike Cerro Tijeretas
For one of the best views in the Galapagos, make sure you hike Cerro Tijeretas, located on Isla San Cristobal. It’s just a 45-minute walk from Puerto Baquerizo Moreno – while it’s a great place to spot its namesake birds, you’ll also be rewarded with panoramic vistas of Wreck Bay and Kicker Rock. Continue on to Carola Beach – when conditions are calm, it’s a great spot for swimming. And you might even spot a green turtle. Remember to bring sunscreen and water along with you as the weather can get pretty hot.
Join a snorkeling tour around Kicker Rock
You can’t miss Kicker Rock – a volcanic code protruding out of the sea, carved by the crashing Pacific waves. Above water, the rock is home to a smattering of tropicbirds and blue-footed boobies, but it is really the underwater inhabitants that are worth seeing. The natural erosion of the cone has created a channel between the rocks that serve as the ideal place to view myriad sharks and rays. Arrive at the right time and you’ll spot hundreds of Galapagos sharks, schools of spotted eagle rays, turtles, jellyfish and even the occasional sea lion. Head out on a boat from Puerto Baquerizo Moreno and you’ll reach the site within 90 minutes.
Marvel at giant tortoises in Reserva El Chato
You can’t go to the Galapagos without encountering a giant tortoise. See them in their natural habitat at El Chato, a 12-ha (29-acre) nature reserve nestled in the Santa Cruz highlands. These creatures really are huge – they can grow to 4ft (1.2m) in length and can weigh over 550lbs (250kg). On arrival, make sure you ask the staff where the tortoise sightings of the day are – you’ll likely find them wallowing in mud pools or foraging in the Scalesia Forest. Make sure you wear hiking boots and keep an eye out for short-eared owls and vermillion flycatchers flitting between the trees.
Spot baby giant tortoises at Galapaguera de Cerro Colorado
Another top place to see giant tortoises is Cerro Colorado Tortoise Reserve. This rehabilitation center is one of the main semi-natural breeding grounds, allowing young tortoises to hatch without using an incubator. San Cristobal had two endemic giant tortoise species – sadly, one became extinct after being hunted for meat and oil. The center aims to protect the baby hatchlings into adulthood. After four months, they are free to roam around the 6ha (14-acre) site before getting released into the wild.
Visit the sea lions on Las Loberias
Whether you choose to snorkel in the sapphire-blue sea while spotting baby sea lions or hike around the beautiful scenery above water, Las Loberias – located on San Cristobal – is sure to wow any visitor. Often praised as the best free thing to do in the Galapagos, this beach has sea lions, iguanas, Hermit crabs and turtles, all of whom will happily put on a show for their visitors. The trail above the beach offers an incredible view, but be sure to wear some sturdy shoes if you choose to hike.
See marine iguanas at Las Tintoreras
Another hotspot for aquatic life, Las Tintoreras – located on Puerto Villamil – is home to hundreds, if not thousands of marine iguanas. You’ll also spot sharks and on occasion, stingrays, seals, seahorses and even penguins. This beautifully pristine environment gives the illusion that man never existed. It’s a quick and easy stop, just a 10-minute boat ride from the Island of Isabella – and an absolute must-do.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.