One of Alaska’s oldest and most beautiful cities, Juneau is home to majestic mountains, glaciers, wildlife, and views of waterfalls, lakes, rivers, and ocean. In a town where even pubs and coffee shops advertise great views of the incredible scenery, it can be hard to know where to go. If you’re a photographer, painter, or simply a lover of the most stunning scenery, these are the places you’ll want to go.
Shrine of St. Thérèse
About 22 miles north of downtown Juneau off of the Glacier Highway, the Shrine of St. Thérèse sits in one of the most beautiful spots in the Tongass National Forest. The Shrine is dedicated to St. Thérèse of Lisieux, the patron saint of Alaska, missionaries, and the Diocese of Juneau. Its home is on a gorgeous island with crashing surf, mountain views, and a rugged coastline, where visitors can sometimes spot humpback whales and sea lions. A trial leads from the parking lot back to a caretaker’s headquarters, a small stone labyrinth, and a church built out of rounded river rocks out on a small spit of land that juts about 100 years into Lynn Canal. Visitors can take a walk around the church, admire the statues and gardens, and enter the ‘labyrinth,’ a series of concentric circles built for prayer walks. There is also a log church that was built in the 1930s, with stunning flower gardens, towering spruce trees, and wildflowers along the beach. Whether or not you’re religious, you will easily feel peaceful and relaxed in this sacred place.
Shrine of St. Thérèse, 21425 Glacier Hwy, Juneau, AK, USA, +1 907 586 2227 ex. 24
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Just eight tenths of a mile past the Shrine of St. Thérèse, the Jensen-Olson Arboretum is unique among public gardens due to its location on the water with a mature forest as a backdrop. In her will, Caroline Jensen-Olson left her house and all its flowers to the city of Juneau. In her garden, visitors can find a number of native and cultivated plants, especially primrose, Caroline’s passion. In 1902, the Peterson family homesteaded the property and developed the land, turning the vegetable garden into a source of produce for local Juneau growers and food banks, and today, there are over 950 species of plants in the garden. It is also a wonderful place to have a picnic while taking in the views of quiet primrose and the surrounding majestic sea and mountains. Many local artists and photographers have been inspired by the natural beauty of the facility and sometimes hold shows to display their work. The arboretum is truly a jewel in Juneau.
Jensen-Olson Arboretum, 23035 Glacier Hwy, Juneau, AK, USA, +1 907 789 0139
Mount Roberts Tramway
Perhaps the most popular attraction in Juneau, Mount Roberts Tramway allows visitors to get an unparalleled view of one of Alaska’s most beautiful cities. Since 1996, Mount Roberts Tramway has taken guests from the cruise ship dock in downtown Juneau through the rain forest to the Mountain House at the 1,800-foot level of Mount Roberts, all on an enclosed tramway gondola. At the top, people are treated to one of the most expansive views in Southeast Alaska, with the Chilkat Mountains to the north, the Gastineau Channel to the south, Douglas Island to the west, and Silverbow Basin, where gold was discovered in 1880, on the east. It is the only aerial tramway in southwest Alaska, and one of the most vertical tramways in the world. If you are in Juneau and looking for an incredible view and an experience unlike any other, this is the place to go.
Goldbelt Mount Roberts Tramway, 490 S Franklin St, Juneau, AK, USA, +1 888 461 8726
No visit to Alaska would be complete without seeing its beautiful glaciers, and the most visible ambassador of the Juneau Icefield is Mendenhall Glacier. About 13.6 miles long and located in the Mendenhall Valley, Mendenhall Glacier is one sight you definitely do not want to miss, whether you view it from the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center, hike to it, fly by on a helicopter, or take a rafting trip there. If you don’t want to leave the comforts of the Visitor Center, you still get a great view of the magnificent glacier thanks to its enormous size, and if you want a closer look, they also have free telescopes. If you are up for a hiking trip, you can explore the icy blue caves of the glacier, walk along the beautiful bay, see the natural Alaskan wildlife, and admire the stunning Nugget Falls nearby. Helicopter rides can also take you along the length of the glacier, and rafting or kayaking trips will give you a unique experience floating among the icebergs.
Mendenhall Glacier, End of Glacier Spur Road, Juneau, AK, +1 907 789 0097
After Joe Juneau and Richard Harris found gold in the Silverbow Basin in the 1880s, the need for access to the major gold mining operations in the Gold Creek Valley led to the creation of Alaska’s first road, known today as the Perseverance Trail, after the famous Perseverance mine. Every summer, thousands of travelers love to head up the Perseverance Trail to experience the history and beauty of the Silverbow Basin. The trail has a wide, firm base that doesn’t get muddy and is accessible to less able users, so everyone has the opportunity to enjoy the many splendors it has to offer. Hikers are treated to the breathtaking beauty of the Gold Creek valley, with its gorgeous streams cascading down the lush green 3,000-foot shoulders of Mount Juneau and Mount Roberts, and waterfalls of over one hundred feet that can be seen near the beginning and end of the trail. There is also a lovely picnic area near the end of the trail at the gorgeous Perseverance Lake, giving visitors a chance to stop and enjoy the scenery.
Perseverance Trail, Gold Creek Valley, Juneau, AK, USA, +1 907 269 8400
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.