If there is one thing that can be said about Americans, it’s that they love a good cup of coffee – even in Alaska, the last frontier. Join us in exploring the best cafes and coffee shops in Juneau, the fiftieth state’s capital.
The Rookery Café
Is there anything The Rookery Café can’t do? With everything from Alaskan seafood to bibimbap to ramen to hamburgers, visitors are sure to find something on the menu they will love. Dishes include the buttermilk-fried halibut and carrot jam, 2am burger and truffle fries. There is also the Dungeness crab salad, pork skins, duck ramen, bread pudding, and crab cake eggs Benedict. These are just a few of the incredible menu items that make guests’ mouths water with both their stunning presentation and fresh flavors. They are also well-known for their masterfully made coffees, pastries, and breakfast burritos. This is a can’t-miss in Juneau, and its popularity makes reservations a good idea.
111 Seward St, Juneau, AK, USA, +1 907 463 3013
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Thanks to their perfectly made cappuccinos, lattes sweetened with caramelized sugar, delicious pastries and baked goods and fresh pasta salads, Paradise Café truly lives up to its name. Although the menu is constantly changing, nothing you order will ever disappoint. Their cinnamon rolls, croissants, sandwiches, and scones are universal crowd pleasers. Here, the owner and staff are all extremely friendly and love what they do. While the rough exterior of the place might fool you, the inside is clean and beautiful. It’s set up like a European cafe, with its colorful decor, bright tablecloths, and art and instruments on the walls. If you are looking for unique and delicious coffee and pastries, this is the place to go.
9351 Glacier Hwy, Juneau, AK, USA, +1 907 586 2253
In the heart of downtown Juneau attached to The Historic Silverbow Inn lies Silverbow Bakery, the oldest bakery in Alaska. While they serve many great sandwiches, soups, and cookies as well as coffees, they are best known for their bagels. The bakery has been operating since the 1890s, and it is the site of the first traditional bagel bakery in Alaska where bagels were first boiled, then baked. Each day, they have about 14 different flavored bagels available, with the selection rotating daily. Flavors include everything from spinach, pesto, and cinnamon raison to poppy, salt, garlic, and sesame, with super cinnamon as the most popular. Visitors also herald the fresh salmon that the bakery uses for lox, sandwiches, and salads.
120 2nd St, Juneau, AK, USA, +1 907 586 4146
Although it officially opened in 2013, Coppa got its start when the owner, Marc, started making homemade rhubarb sherbet with his daughter and selling it in a local farmers’ market as a project to teach her math and customer service skills. Because of its popularity, Marc and his wife decided to open up the cafe. In addition to handmade ice cream, they also sell espresso, baked goods, and lunch items. While the ice creams, with their creative flavors and locally sourced ingredients, are the most popular products they sell, the homemade sandwiches and quality coffee are also favorites among customers. The rotating exhibits from local artists and comfortable atmosphere make it a great place to relax and hang out.
917 Glacier Ave, Juneau, AK, USA, +1 907 586 3500
With locations literally all over Juneau (Downtown, Marine View, Lemon Creek, Glacier Café, Airport Center, Heritage Iga), Heritage Coffee makes a quality cup of joe convenient no matter where you are in the city. In its early days, the coffee shop was actually one of the largest wholesale customers of the famous Starbucks. However, the massive success of the local shop in Juneau prompted Starbucks founder Jerry Baldwin to suggest that Heritage start roasting their own coffee on site. Since then, Heritage has grown and expanded with cafe and drive-thru locations, all with the highest quality coffees available. The company has even started its own wholesale business. They supply fresh-roasted coffee to other cafes and offices all over the state of Alaska.
130 Front St, Juneau, AK, USA, +1 907 586 1087
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.