Glacier trekking is often on the bucket list of travelers to Alaska. And for good reason – inspecting the menagerie of deep blue pools and crevasses on the top of the ice or standing at its base, gazing up at the incredible face of a mass that is both hundreds of years old and always changing, is nothing short of incredible. Here are just a few of the more easily accessible glaciers in Alaska.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Just a few hours north of Anchorage, Matanuska is often the first glacier that those new to Alaska get to visit. It sits just off the Glenn Highway, its impressive breadth spans more than four miles wide and 27 miles long, meaning you can get rather impressive views even from a roadside pullout. Though to really appreciate the might of the largest glacier accessible by car in the United States, pay the $30 fee to get onto the private land the glacier flows upon and spend the day exploring the moulins, ice walls, and electric blue ice.
Part of Kenai Fjords National Park, Exit Glacier is a wildly popular hiking destination on Alaska’s Kenai Peninsula, partially because it acts as a choose your own adventure story, with a multitude of hikes on and around the glacial mass. Some of the most popular include most easily accessible Edge of the Glacier Trail (aka the Lower Trail) and the nine-mile round trip Harding Icefield Trail.
One of the most popular glaciers in Alaska, Mendenhall sits just 12 miles outside of Juneau. The West Glacier Trail, a roughly four-mile jaunt, is the easiest way to get there. However, it’s not the best maintained trail, so going with a guide could save you from getting lost (bonus: they’ll have all the tools you’ll need to hike safely on the glacier and know where the best ice caves are).
When the Begich-Boggs Visitors Center was originally built, it was right at the foot of Portage Glacier. But in the decades since, the glacier has retreated so fast that, even with the center’s telescopes, you can’t see it. There are still several trails that will take you to the glacier, as well as one option that’s favored among locals: wait until the lake freezes over in the winter and walk across the flat surface to the glacier’s base.
Short and sweet, it’s less than a mile walk from the trailhead to the foot of Byron Glacier. The path there is well maintained and flat, though once you get to the foot of the glacier, it gets rockier and depending on the time of year, some shallow stream crossings might be necessary. The reward, however, is some incredible ice caves that look like something out of the Superman films.
What makes this glacier unique is the fact that it’s only accessible by the Alaska Railroad. Sheer walls of ice rising 3,500 feet marry braided rivers and crashing waterfalls to create an incredible recreation area that wows. In addition to climbing on the glacier, it’s possible to go kayaking among the icebergs in the water below.
Just a mile and a half walk from Kennicott in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park, Root Glacier is a trip visitors can do solo or with a guided operation. The walk there is a feast of views of the glacier and nearby peaks – some covered in snow resembling marshmallow fluff and some a lush emerald green all the way to the top. The glacier is known for having infinite glacial streams and pools of blue speckling across its top.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.