Cheap hotels in Alaska? They do exist – and they’re easier to find than bears, moose and whales. The 49th State may be rugged and even inhospitable in places, but these hotels and cabins are crammed with creature comforts to make your stay as cushy as can be. Soft beds, hot showers and warm welcomes are mixed with priceless Alaskan views – bookable with Culture Trip.
A private cabin for the same price as a highway motel? Denali Tri-Valley Cabins will immediately redefine your standard for “cheap” hotels. Surrounded by trees, the porches of these cabins are great for star- and even northern lights-spotting on a cloudless night. Best of all, the Alaskan Coffee Bean and 49th State Brewing brewery are at hand for when you need a sip of something to pep you back up after a day’s hiking in Denali National Park.
Picture the scene: you’ve just stepped off the train in Fairbanks. The Bridgewater Hotel shuttle sweeps you through a world of ice-blue skies, snow-heaped pines and distant mountains, and – despite your tiredness – the landscape is calling you to explore it. Back at the hotel, inspired by the framed historic photos and Native American-inspired artwork, you make a pot of coffee in your homely room and begin planning your trip – to the Gates of the Arctic National Park, say, or Denali National Park. Adventure awaits.
Handcrafted cabins, amazing views of the Matanuska River Valley and a restaurant full of fresh, home-cooked Alaskan food; all this and then some is waiting for you at Sheep Mountain Lodge. The rugged, forest-clad views are particularly ravishing from the hot tub, but the only way you’ll catch a glimpse of the Dall Sheep that roam the mountain slopes is through the lodge’s telescope. It’s harder to miss the hotel’s owner and his bush plane; he tends to fly it as low to the lodge as possible.
“How’s the view from the Vue?” you ask. We suppose “absolutely incredible” would suffice. Even if you’re an introvert, you’ll want to sip coffee in the communal kitchen or grill out on the patio with new friends, going on and on about how remarkable the mountains in the distance are. Although, it sounds like you’ll also appreciate the Full Vue suite: four queen beds and four pull-out couches for your closest family and friends, along with a fully equipped kitchen and barbecue area on the patio.
Start and end your adventures in Alaska at Hotel Seward. Downtown in the city of the same name, this near-century-old hotel and restaurant has rates so affordable, you’d be forgiven for thinking they were fixed in time. If you’re not pushy about tighter quarters and stair-only access, why not book a room in the historic wing for the full flavour of the place? Imagine staying in these exact rooms in the 1940s, years before statehood, enjoying the serenity of the bay.
Landed in Anchorage for a quick overnight? Fly home with a few extra bucks in your pocket by staying at the Dimond Center Hotel. They offer 24/7 shuttle service to the Ted Stevens International Airport, only 6mi (10km) away. Spend the few hours you have soaking in your room’s 72in jetted tub until the Old Cannery Bar opens for the evening, which also serves pizza, burgers and sandwiches. If you have more time to kill, the Alaska Zoo and Far North Bicentennial Park are nearby.
You’d better believe that your body and budget are both going to get a breath of renewal at Resurrection Lodge on the Bay. Relax with home-made cookies, a coffee or tea, and do nothing except sit on the deck and watch whales, sea lions and sea otters play in Resurrection Bay. Prefer to stay cozied up in bed? You’ll get the same bay views from your room. Basically, you get the bay no matter how little you pay.
Surrounded by thousands of acres of protected wildlife areas, yet close enough to downtown Fairbanks to get a cup of coffee from Creamers Espresso Yourself in minutes, Wedgewood Resort offers the perfect mix of seclusion and city immersion for any budget. Better still, their suites have separate bedrooms, spacious living rooms and fully equipped kitchens to make you (and your wallet) feel right at home. Grab that cup of joe and go for a walk in your “backyard”: nature trails through a wildlife sanctuary and migratory waterfowl refuge.
For more options, discover our guide to the best hotels in Alaska, or these luxury places to stay, and book now on Culture Trip. Fancy discovering more stunning places to stay in Alaska? Check out our guide on where to stay in Denali National Park, Alaska, bookable on Culture Trip. For an affordable stay, check out our pick of the best cheap hotels in Anchorage, Alaska, bookable on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.