Staying in Alaska means long walks through untouched wilderness, whale watching without keeping an eye on the time and dining on fresh meals sourced from the very same landscape. In those few moments that you’re not falling in love with the natural beauty in the Last Frontier, spoil yourself with a stay at one of the best hotels in Alaska – bookable on Culture Trip.
Airport adjacent and close to the city center, the Lakefront Anchorage takes convenience to an ultra-cool level. Watching the hundreds of seaplanes land and take off from Lake Hood is a show in itself, especially when you’re sitting on the side of Lake Spenard splitting a basket of fish and chips with your friends at the Fancy Moose Lounge. The Mt McKinley suite will wow your entire crew with its separate living and dining areas, giving everyone their own space.
The Four Points by Sheraton Juneau is in the only US city where you can walk to a glacier from your hotel without leaving city limits. This Golden Square Mile hotel invites you to get loud and lively with karaoke at its bar. Not one for song and dance? Get an early start with a complimentary breakfast, then head out onto the Gastineau Channel for a whale-watching tour or hop on the Perseverance Trail to explore beyond city limits.
There’s no need to fear the Wolf’s Den at Kenai Peninsula Suites; it’s actually one of its finest pet-friendly cabins. Amazing views of Kachemak Bay can be spotted from this subterranean cabin, though you can get a bird’s-eye view of the bay and the mountains from the private deck of the rustic Eagle’s Nest cabin. You’ll sleep a little more than 2mi (3km) from downtown Homer, though you might see a few furry neighbors walk or fly by while you’re hanging out in the hot tub.
A full kitchen and separate living room are standard in each suite at the Hyatt House Anchorage. If you don’t feel like cooking or eating alone, H Bar has a sip and snack menu with cocktails and appetizers. Step outside and appreciate a scene like no other – a bustling city surrounded by majestic mountains and with locals on two legs and four making their way through the streets. Imagine seeing an actual bear on your way to Bear Paw Bar & Grill.
Ready yourself for an adventure in Denali National Park by making the riverside McKinley Chalet Resort your base. Wake up on the banks of the Nenana and inhale a breath of fresh Alaskan air from your balcony. The grab-and-go espresso bar will perk you up just in time to catch the free shuttle to the entrance of Denali. Afterward, return to devour caribou burgers and swipe through your amazing photos at Karstens Public House.
You’ve never seen an oceanfront hotel in Alaska like the Homer Inn and Spa. Book a seaside spa room and stare at the mountains over the water from your bed, private hot tub or private balcony or deck. A sauna, a solar tepidarium, a hydrotherapy area and a self-care yurt will pamper you from dawn to dusk. If you want to add another unforgettable experience to your trip, book a bear safari, where you’re guaranteed to see these amazing animals in the wild.
You’re in luck when you touch down at the Landing Hotel – two of the best restaurants in Ketchikan are right next to the lobby. Enjoy breakfast all day at the Landing Restaurant, or taste the freshest seafood in Alaska at Jeremiah’s Pub. If you’d rather eat your way through the whole city, the hotel courtesy shuttle service will gladly take you anywhere within city limits. Thank goodness for the refrigerator in your suite; you’re going to have plenty of leftovers.
Go ahead and cross off barbecuing under the Northern Lights off your bucket list with help from the Totem Hotel and Suites. You’ll feel at home in its private cabins the moment you set your bags down. The kitchen, dining room and covered porch will tempt you to stay in and witness the aurora borealis. Just know that you’ll have plenty of opportunities to spot the light show even if you’re at the 24/7 gym, walking Dock Point Trail or having a nightcap at Growler Bay Brewing Company.
With views of the Kenai Mountains and Resurrection Bay in every direction, the Harbor 360 Hotel serves up the best sights in Seward from every angle. Grab harbor views over breakfast, from the swimming pool or on your private balcony. Still trying to get the perfect selfie? The complimentary shuttle will swing you around town in search of a good photo op. If you want the ultimate snapshot with the beauty of Alaska on full display, ask the concierge to snag you a discounted cruise into Kenai Fjords National Park.
For more options, discover our guide to the best luxury hotels in Alaska and book now on Culture Trip. For an affordable stay, check out our pick of the best cheap hotels in Anchorage, Alaska, bookable on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.