The most-visited region in Mexico is also one of the most spectacularly beautiful. Get ready to be inspired by these breathtaking destinations to visit in the Riviera Maya.
Starting just south of the resorts and all-inclusives in Cancun, the Maya Riviera stretches from the beachside villas of Puerto Morelos all the way down to the remote Sian Ka’an Biosphere Reserve. Along the way, you can call in at beautiful beachside destinations like Akumal, head inland to the Mayan ruins of Coba and Chichén Itzá or revel in the nightlife of Playa del Carmen.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Strap on your mask, and wade out into the warm waters of the Caribbean Sea at Akumal. You’ll soon find yourself swimming with sea turtles, barracuda and manta rays as you snorkel the coral reefs. It’s no surprise that Akumal means the Place of the Turtles in the local Mayan dialect because this beautiful segment of the Riviera Maya is full of wildlife. You’ll find all the luxury hotels and beach bars you need here, too, but developments have still left the local nature protected. Learn more about the famous local turtles by joining a nighttime turtle watching tour at Xpu-Ha Beach, where these endangered creatures are found in abundance.
It gets hot along the Riviera Maya, but, luckily, the Yucatán Peninsula is a hotbed for freshwater swimming holes. Better known as cenotes, these flooded sinkholes are peculiar to the region, and they are fantastic for swimming. One of the best and most beautiful in the Riviera Maya is Cenote Azul, an open cenote that’s turquoise in color and perfectly refreshing. Spend the day jumping off the low cliffs, swimming in the freshwater and enjoying a foot massage courtesy of the nibbling fish. Cenote Azul is located around 20 minutes away from Playa del Carmen.
The Temple of Kukulcán – or El Castillo, as the Spanish named it – is, without a doubt, one of the most impressive symbols of the ancient Mayan world. This epic pyramid rises high above the ruined city of Chichén Itzá, and it’s a must-see for anyone visiting the Riviera Maya. Chichén Itzá was once home to thousands of people, but it was abandoned and reclaimed by the forests before the Spanish conquistadors ever arrived in Mexico. The temples, pyramids and Mayan ballcourts have been painstakingly excavated and restored. Today, this Mayan archaeological site is considered one of the new wonders of the ancient world.
The main drag in Playa del Carmen is the place to be if you’re looking for just about anything when you’re holidaying on the Riviera Maya. La Quinta Avenida – 5th Avenue – is the most important street in the city. It is alive 24 hours a day and packed with bars, restaurants, hostels, souvenir shops and street performers. It’s colorful, it’s loud, and there’s always someone in a sombrero trying to get you to try tequila. Yes, it’s touristy, but relax – you’re always on vacation when you’re on La Quinta Avenida.
Playa del Carmen is the busiest holiday destination in the Riviera Maya, and, while there are all-inclusives and resorts here, you’ll also find hostels and apartments for budget or long-term travelers. A long beach stretches along the seafront, while La Avenida Quinta is the place to go for bars and restaurants. Walk a few streets back, and you’ll find cantinas selling Corona beers and serving the tastiest tacos in the Riviera Maya.
Puerto Aventuras has long tried to be the best-kept secret in the Riviera Maya, but it was always going to be a challenge to keep one of the most beautiful destinations in Quintana Roo under wraps forever. It’s located just 20 minutes south of Playa del Carmen, and there are only a select few resorts to check into at Adventure Port – one of them is the Hard Rock Hotel. If you’re not swept up in the all-inclusive vibe, then head down to the white-sand beach in Puerto Aventuras, where there are no crowds but excellent snorkeling just meters offshore.
Puerto Morelos is the “official” starting point of the Riviera Maya, and, while the seaside town is a major port and harbor for the whole state, the beaches to the north and south are best described as pristine. Many of those white-sand beaches have been taken over by resorts, but it’s far more laid-back and secluded here than in Cancun. The waters off the coast are shallow, which is great news for snorkelers because the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef and all of its glorious marine life can be reached from the beach.
Sian Ka’an loosely means the “place where heaven begins”, and, when you reach the most remote nature preserve in the Riviera Maya, you’ll quickly understand why the Mayans gave it this name. This vast Unesco-listed site is one of the largest biosphere reserves in Mexico, protecting forests, beaches, coral reefs and delicate ecosystems. Snorkel the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef, visit one of the oldest Mayan ruins in the Americas at the archaeological site Muyil, or trek deep into the biosphere in search of howler monkeys, iguanas, tapirs and even the rare puma.
Looking for somewhere to stay? Book into one of the top resorts in Playa del Carmen, or opt instead for one of the best hotels for every traveler. Don’t miss the top things to see and do in, including the most beautiful beaches. Make sure you try the top restaurants in Playa del Carmen, too.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.