Choosing a hotel in Playa del Carmen can seem impossible – hotels and resorts are a dime-a-dozen in this Mexican paradise along the Riviera Maya. Luckily, we’re here to help you find the perfect beach resort or poolside getaway to enjoy the sunshine. These are the best places to stay in Playa del Carmen for every traveler, bookable with Culture Trip.
The Petit Lafitte Hotel is a nod to the old-school hotels that brought American tourists to the Riviera Maya in droves. Hungry minds will be happy to know that the menu is packed with local seafood and traditional Mayan cuisine, while the drinks menu heavily features Mexican spirits. Don’t miss the Fleurs de Prairie, a Côtes de Provence that’s meant for the beach. The hotel’s real gem lies at the back of the property, where the Lafitte family has an orchard and raises Mexican Creole hairless pigs.
Young couples looking for a romantic getaway will find respite at the Senses Quinta Avenida, while also being in the heart of the action – this is one of the best places to stay in Playa del Carmen if you want to be close to the city’s restaurants and nightlife. With just 22 suites in this boutique hotel, some rooms feature jacuzzis just a step away from the bed. All guests can enjoy the rooftop infinity pool that overlooks the art galleries, restaurants and bars on La Quinta Avenida, Playa del Carmen’s main shopping street.
Halfway between Playa del Carmen and the sleepy fishing town of Puerto Morelos, El Dorado Maroma’s location means you’ll have all the privacy in the world at this romantic, adults-only escape. For those lucky enough to grab a swim-up suite, you can go for a splash in the pool or slide up to the bar just by stepping off the patio.
Hidden among the Mayakoba complex’s mangrove trees, the Rosewood resort spoils you from the moment you arrive at your hotel room – by gondola, we might add. Dining options from the five restaurants on-site range from Guerrero-style seafood pozole to hibiscus-glazed lamb, while wellness lovers can dive into Ayurvedic healing, Peloton classes, or surfboard HIIT workouts in the pool.
If you’re ready for a vacation that’s round-the-clock fun, staying at Hotel Xcaret should be at the top of your list. As part of the Xcaret (pronounced eeksh-ka-ret) nature park, the hotel gives you unlimited access to one of the biggest amusement complexes in the country with over 50 attractions – from the busiest zip line in the world to nighttime jungle rides in an all-terrain vehicle.
From penthouses to treehouses, the Mahekal Beach Front Resort was made with outdoorsy types in mind, with its own established on-site dive shop. Dine in (or out) at the hotel’s thatched-roof, open-air restaurants, or make your own at the casita – preparing fresh hand-nixtamalized tortillas, lime soup, and tikin xic, a citrusy black cod cooked in banana leaves. Once in the water, take your time during a self-paced snorkel tour, or tackle advanced dives inside shipwrecks and cenotes.
The exclusivity – along with the water park, miniature golf course, bowling alley, zip lines, and go-kart track – easily make Barceló Maya Palace a family favorite. Maya Palace guests can use facilities at the other Barceló hotels, though it doesn’t work in reverse – meaning the Palace gets all the benefits without any of the crowds. If you are looking to venture outside of the resort, the out-of-this-world Jardín del Edén cenote is right across the highway.
Don’t worry about space at the Fives Beach Hotel & Residences, where suites have up to three bedrooms. The Fives keeps a watchful eye over the kiddos, offering babysitting services, a kids club with a rock-climbing wall and soccer field, and a tech-friendly teens club. While they’re otherwise occupied, you’ll have a chance to take a dip in the adults-only pool or slip away to the Japanese-Peruvian restaurant.
Looking for somewhere different to stay? Book into one of the best resorts in Playa del Carmen. Inspire your itinerary with the top things to see and do in this coastal town, including the most beautiful beaches nearby. Feeling peckish? We’ve got you covered with the best restaurants in Playa del Carmen.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.