Mexico has some of the most beautiful beaches in North America – and what better way to enjoy them than with a cold beer or delicious cocktail in hand? Here’s a sampling of some of the best beach bars across the country, best visited at sunset, with friends or lovers. The beach is waiting for you… get going.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
El Muchacho Alegre
El Muchacho Alegre is perfectly located in a prime spot on the beach in Mazatlán, and alongside the chilled-to-perfection beers, they also offer seafood dishes. For a buzzing and convivial atmosphere, this is the spot to be, especially given that they regularly host live banda music. You’ll leave feeling you really got a taste of the traditional Mazatlán vibe at this beachside bar, as despite simple appearances it is pretty authentic and popular among locals too. Check out the spicy, tomatoey michelada drinks too.
Aquazul Beach Bar & Lounge
A luxurious beach bar option with some absolutely top-quality facilities and service, Aquazul Beach Bar & Lounge is part of the Garza Blanca Resort and is the place to be if you want to chill out and be pampered. The bar itself serves up a combination of light dishes and exquisite cocktails, perfect for a relaxed afternoon. It’s also located next to a swanky swimming pool for those of you who fancy a dip but don’t like salt water. This sophisticated looking place has seating both on and a little above the beach, both providing outstanding views.
A sprawling and sumptuously decorated bar, or perhaps more aptly called a lounge, Sky Garden has a jaw-dropping terrace with numerous sofas and tables for you to sink into with a cocktail. The moody blue-hued lighting really sets the tone, and adds to the feeling of luxury you get in this Acapulco bar, with its terrace-top pool and candlelit ambience. Understandably, Sky Garden attracts the wealthy and the beautiful like flies to a honey pot. Dress up smartly for access to this lovely lounge and don’t bank on it being a cheap night out.
The Surfin’ Burrito is renowned locally for its lively bar as well as the fantastic food it offers. The layout is open on the beach, making it a picturesque spot to sit in after a day riding the waves. With a shot of tequila priced at around USD$2, this is an ideal place for budget travellers. A bus runs regularly from the main hotel zone to Surfin’ Burrito, meaning guests don’t need to worry about arranging transportation, (that’s if you ever leave, as Surfin’ Burrito never closes).
Gitano has really made a mark on Tulum’s nightlife scene in recent years, not least for its extensive mezcal and cocktail menu and laidback ambience. Definitely make a beeline for the outdoor seating, where you can enjoy the temperate climate, surrounded by verdant plants and palms, which have some very on-trend fairy lights casually strewn from their branches. Aside from drinks, Gitano also serves some reliably delicious snacks, and although it’s most definitely not the cheapest bar you’ll find in the town, it’s easily one of the best.
Zipper’s Bar and Grill
Zipper’s Bar and Grill is a favorite with the local surf crowd, and you’ll love it for sun, sand and buckets of beer on the Playa Costa Azul beach in San José del Cabo. The beachfront hangout sells delicious burgers, barbecue ribs, mezquite-smoked rib eyes and beer-battered shrimp, plus ice cold beer of different variations. On the beach out front is the annual Los Cabos Open of Surf competition, but the place’s laidback atomosphere is good all year round. There’s even satellite TV for catching the game.
Mamitas Beach Club
A massive party with an upscale vibe, Mamitas Beach Club is all you imagine a Playa del Carmen beach bar to be like. Lounge chairs in the sand, umbrellas beside them, DJs spinning records and white-shirted waiters bringing your cocktails – it’s all there and more at Mamitas. The place is generally packed every day, and the music is more often than not electronic.
A 1950s Chevrolet 3800 pick-up sits alongside beachfront palapa bar at the Punta de Mita W hotel ready to serve you up a nostalgic slice of beach life. Besides the sea and sand there are fresh ceviches and other seafood delights (always opt for the catch of the day) as well as craft beer and cocktails. This little bohemian gem is a mellow piece of heaven on Punta de Mita’s beautiful coastline.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.